[comp.sources.bugs] Compilation problem with paragraph.c from Jove

still@usceast.UUCP (Bert Still) (05/08/88)

	Has anyone else had a problem building the recently posted Jove program?
When I compiled paragraph.c, I was greeted by a list of cheerful messages:

cc -O  -c paragraph.c
"paragraph.c", line 310: endmark undefined
"paragraph.c", line 310: warning: struct/union or struct/union pointer required
"paragraph.c", line 310: warning: struct/union or struct/union pointer required
"paragraph.c", line 312: okay_char undefined
"paragraph.c", line 317: cp undefined
"paragraph.c", line 317: warning: illegal combination of pointer and integer, op =
"paragraph.c", line 321: operands of - have incompatible types
"paragraph.c", line 325: okay_char undefined
"paragraph.c", line 327: endmark undefined
"paragraph.c", line 327: warning: struct/union or struct/union pointer required
"paragraph.c", line 327: warning: struct/union or struct/union pointer required
"paragraph.c", line 333: indent undefined
"paragraph.c", line 337: scrunch undefined
"paragraph.c", line 341: indent undefined
"paragraph.c", line 345: savedot undefined
"paragraph.c", line 346: endmark undefined
"paragraph.c", line 352: syntax error
"paragraph.c", line 361: num undefined
"paragraph.c", line 362: dir undefined
"paragraph.c", line 364: first_time undefined

The number of undefined variables leads me to suspect that either an include
file was truncated, or that the paragraph.c file was corrupted. I persued both
lines of thinking, and came up with no results.  If some kind soul has a fix,
I would like to get a copy of it. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to make some
time and go exterminating...
	Many thanks for any and all help...
						Bert
						still@cs.scarolina.edu

mchinni@ardec.arpa (Michael J. Chinni, SMCAR-CCS-E) (05/09/88)

Bert,

    Using the Makefile included with the shar files email messages, I had no
problem compiling and installing jove 4.9.

    Michael J. Chinni, SMCAR-CCS-E
    <mchinni@ardec.arpa>

george@rebel.UUCP (George M. Sipe) (05/13/88)

In article <2594@usceast.UUCP> still@usceast.uucp.UUCP (Bert Still) writes:
>	Has anyone else had a problem building the recently posted Jove program?
>When I compiled paragraph.c, I was greeted by a list of cheerful messages:
>cc -O  -c paragraph.c
>"paragraph.c", line 310: endmark undefined
>"paragraph.c", line 310: warning: struct/union or struct/union pointer required

etc. including okay_char, cp, indent, scrunch, savedot, num, dir, first_time
all undefined.  It looked to me like a bad version of paragraph.c was posted
with the last distribution, so as a temporary measure I replaced it with a
stub to see what other problems might surface.

	int	RMargin = 78,
		LMargin = 0;

	plus BackPara, ForPara, RegJustify, do_rfill, DoJustify, and
	Justify each declared:

		void <function-name>(){}

No other module had compilation errors and with this stub the thing linked
ok and even executes (without proper paragraph support I'm sure).

I thought by now someone would have explained the problem or posted the
correct paragraph.c.  Did I miss it?

--
George M. Sipe,		Phone: (404) 662-1533
Tolerant Systems, 6961 Peachtree Industrial, Norcross, GA  30071