[comp.sources.bugs] v15i049: Module to make postscript interpreter work under Suntools

kyrimis@notecnirp.Princeton.EDU (Kriton Kyrimis) (06/09/88)

This module works wonderfully, except that it requires people  to
redefine  showpage in their .postscript file. Since this is not a
very intuitive thing to do, here is a patch to main.c  that  will
do  the  redefinition automatically.  Apply the patch, and recom-
pile main.c with the -DPSTOOL flag (the patch is  #ifdef'ed,  be-
cause the redefinition of showpage is usually not required).

I hope you find this useful.

*** main.c.orig	Wed Jun  8 23:19:31 1988
--- main.c	Wed Jun  8 23:19:43 1988
***************
*** 79,84 ****
--- 79,90 ----

   	if (fp = fopen (profile, "r"))
  		VOID Push (ExecStack, Cvx (FileFrom (fp)));
+ # ifdef PSTOOL
+ 	/* Redefine showpage so that it doesn't wait for the user
+ 	   to press return */
+ 	VOID Push (ExecStack, Cvx (StringFrom (
+ 		"/showpage { copypage initgraphics flush erasepage } def")));
+ # endif /* PSTOOL */

  	if (!interactive)
  		VOID Push (ExecStack,

	Kriton	(UUCP: rutgers!princeton!kyrimis)
	      	(ARPA: kyrimis@princeton.edu)
-----
"One does not wish to be devoured by alien monstrosities, even  in
 the cause of political progress!"
-----

barnett@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett) (06/10/88)

In article <10646@princeton.Princeton.EDU> kyrimis@princeton.Princeton.EDU (Kriton Kyrimis) writes:
|This module works wonderfully, except ...

except I can't get it to work. I have installed v15i049 plus kriton's
patch, and sunPS will not display the demos properly. One in
particular is
	source/demos/it (Various hollow squares of different shades - rotated)
Any ideas?
--
	Bruce G. Barnett 	<barnett@ge-crd.ARPA> <barnett@steinmetz.UUCP>
				uunet!steinmetz!barnett

kyrimis@notecnirp.Princeton.EDU (Kriton Kyrimis) (06/11/88)

In article <4590@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com> barnett@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett) writes:
>In article <10646@princeton.Princeton.EDU> kyrimis@princeton.Princeton.EDU (Kriton Kyrimis) writes:
>|This module works wonderfully, except ...
>
>except I can't get it to work.

I take back what I said about this module working  wonderfully  -
it  doesn't!   At  the  time I had only tested it with some psdit
(ditroff <-> postscript) output, and it appeared to work, includ-
ing  the  cute icon with a blank scroll that gets written to when
the first page is processed. I later tried it with  some  of  the
demos  that  come with the package, and none of the worked! Since
then, I have junked the new version and reverted to the old  one.
It  might  mess up with my screen, but it is more functional than
the new version (not to mention that it is about 400K smaller)!

Oh, well! At least the showpage patch worked!

	Kriton	(UUCP: rutgers!princeton!kyrimis)
	      	(ARPA: kyrimis@princeton.edu)
-----
"If they call us mutations, what must *they* be like?"
-----