[comp.sources.bugs] talk program won't

soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (06/09/88)

A while ago somone posted to the net a talk(1) for system V that used
named pipes which I dutifully stuffed away for future reference.
Unfortunately it seems I didn't stuff away the the header so I can't say for
sure which group it was in. The only reference I have is the author's
name, Nigel Holder.

Now that I need it I can't get it to work. The initiating program never
recognizes that a connection is successful.  I'd be beholdin' to anyone
who has gotten this to work and will let me in on the secret (or has
something like it) or can point me in the direction of Mr. Holder. You're
also welcome to flame me for my massive stupidity although I'm much less
likely to do any beholdin' as a result.
--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	utzoo!lsuc!ncrcan!---\			VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623

edward@engr.uky.edu (Edward C. Bennett) (06/09/88)

In article <526@ontenv.UUCP> soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) writes:
>A while ago somone posted to the net a talk(1) for system V that used
>named pipes which I dutifully stuffed away for future reference.
>
>Now that I need it I can't get it to work.

The answer is easy. Get a copy of the other SYSV talk program. (Mine, to
be specific) It uses IPC rather than named pipes. Of course I'm biased,
but I think it's the better of the two.

My talk is available in Volume 6 of comp.sources.unix.
--
Edward C. Bennett				DOMAIN: edward@engr.uky.edu
(606) 257-4938				UUCP: {cbosgd|uunet}!ukma!ukecc!edward

nwh@hrc63.co.uk (Nigel Holder "Marconi") (06/24/88)

In article <526@ontenv.UUCP>, soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) writes:
> A while ago somone posted to the net a talk(1) for system V that used
> named pipes which I dutifully stuffed away for future reference.
> Unfortunately it seems I didn't stuff away the the header so I can't say for
> sure which group it was in. The only reference I have is the author's
> name, Nigel Holder.

  Well - I seem to remember something about unsigned and signed bytes
playing havoc with certain systems - the system talk was written on
only had one of the above.  Hope this helps

Nigel Holder			UK JANET:       yf21@uk.co.gec-mrc.u
Marconi Research,		ARPA:           yf21%u.gec-mrc.co.uk@ucl-cs
Chelmsford,
Essex. CM2 8HN.

+44 245 73331   ext. 3219 / 3214

clb) (06/28/88)

In article <523@hrc63.co.uk>, nwh@hrc63.co.uk (Nigel Holder "Marconi") writes:
>   Well - I seem to remember something about unsigned and signed bytes
> playing havoc with certain systems - the system talk was written on
> only had one of the above.  Hope this helps

	Using "talk" on my UNIXPC (sysV, vers 3.0) works for a while
	and then panic's the system with a timer table overflow,
	or at least that's what I summize from the message.

--
			CLBrunow - KA5SOF
	Loci Products, POB 833846-131, Richardson, Texas 75083