[comp.sources.bugs] troff2lj problems

cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (08/06/88)

Has anyone brought this up under SCO 286 Unix?  I compiled it in
several flavors and got an overstruck mess down the left side of
the paper.

I suspect that one problem involves the choice of xexec structure
(a.out, x.out, or whatever).

Any and all advice will be appreciated.

E H. Kinmonth Hist. Dept.  Univ. of Ca., Davis Davis, Ca. 95616
916-752-1636/0776

Disclaimer:  This is AmeriKa!  Who needs a disclaimer!

Internet:  ehkinmonth@ucdavis.edu
           cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu
BITNET:    ehkinmonth@ucdavis
UUCP:      {ucbvax, lll-crg}!ucdavis!ehkinmonth
           {ucbvax, lll-crg}!ucdavis!deneb!cck

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Fish-Guts) (08/09/88)

This may or may not help, but here I go anyways.  BTW, I am running
troff2lj on a VAX running Unix 4.3BSD.

In article <2642@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu.UUCP (Earl H. Kinmonth) writes:
>Has anyone brought this up under SCO 286 Unix?  I compiled it in
>several flavors and got an overstruck mess down the left side of
>the paper.

     I had a problem with the text coming out with bad margins on the
left side and some overstruck characters on the right side.  This
turned out not to be a problem with troff2lj, but rather it was bad
troff macro package definitions, particularily -man.  What was
happening was that (in the macro package) .ll was being used to change
the default line length to be longer, but .po (page offset, i.e. left
margin) was *not* being changed to reflect this.  This really messed
up troff.

     Like I said, this may or may not help.

>E H. Kinmonth Hist. Dept.  Univ. of Ca., Davis Davis, Ca. 95616
>916-752-1636/0776

						-Chris
--
Christopher Lishka                 ...!{rutgers|ucbvax|...}!uwvax!uwslh!lishka
Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene                   lishka%uwslh.uucp@cs.wisc.edu

jfh@rpp386.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) (08/11/88)

In article <363@uwslh.UUCP> lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Fish-Guts) writes:
>In article <2642@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu.UUCP (Earl H. Kinmonth) writes:
>>Has anyone brought this up under SCO 286 Unix?  I compiled it in
>>several flavors and got an overstruck mess down the left side of
>>the paper.
>
>     I had a problem with the text coming out with bad margins on the
>left side and some overstruck characters on the right side.  This
>turned out not to be a problem with troff2lj, but rather it was bad
>troff macro package definitions, particularily -man.

the fixes i've had to use in the past have been redownloading the
soft fonts, or making sure i am using the old C/A/T version of troff.
plexus, in their transfinite wisdom, renamed the old troff to `otroff'
and the new device independent troff has become `troff'.  a quick
check of programs SCO includes with their text processing system
reveals that only one troff is included.  and if murphy has his way,
it is the WRONG one ;-)
>happening was that (in the macro package) .ll was being used to change
>the default line length to be longer, but .po (page offset, i.e. left
>margin) was *not* being changed to reflect this.  This really messed
>up troff.
>
>     Like I said, this may or may not help.
>
>>E H. Kinmonth Hist. Dept.  Univ. of Ca., Davis Davis, Ca. 95616
>>916-752-1636/0776
>
>						-Chris
>--
>Christopher Lishka                 ...!{rutgers|ucbvax|...}!uwvax!uwslh!lishka
>Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene                   lishka%uwslh.uucp@cs.wisc.edu
>Immunology Section  (608)262-1617                            lishka@uwslh.uucp
>				     ----
>"...Just because someone is shy and gets straight A's does not mean they won't
>put wads of gum in your arm pits."
>                         - Lynda Barry, "Ernie Pook's Commeek: Gum of Mystery"

--
John F. Haugh II                 +--------- Cute Chocolate Quote ---------
HASA, "S" Division               | "USENET should not be confused with

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (08/12/88)

In article <5334@rpp386.UUCP> jfh@rpp386.UUCP (The Beach Bum) writes:
# plexus, in their transfinite wisdom, renamed the old troff to `otroff'
# and the new device independent troff has become `troff'.  a quick
# check of programs SCO includes with their text processing system
# reveals that only one troff is included.  and if murphy has his way,
# it is the WRONG one ;-)

It's fairly common in recent releases of DWB for the old troff to be shipped
as "otroff".  I wish DWB as shipped with ISC 386/ix had this feature.  As it
is, my 386/ix system can't run troff to the HP LJ2 because even though I have
troff2lj, I don't have otroff.  So I use nroff.  Bletcherous.

Elan's product would no doubt fix this, but it's a _product_ which means it
costs _money_ which means I'd rather have something like troff2lj that works
with the so-called "device independent" troff.  Or if DWB included a post-
processor to the C/A/T (which 386/ix's, at least, does not).

Anybody got a free solution to this?  I've asked ISC for otroff, but they
ignored me.  Sigh.

(Speaking as an individual, DEC doesn't have any 386 systems that I know of.)

--
Paul Vixie
Digital Equipment Corporation	Work:  vixie@dec.com	Play:  paul@vixie.UUCP

john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US (John Owens) (08/12/88)

In article <5334@rpp386.UUCP>, jfh@rpp386.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) writes:
> plexus, in their transfinite wisdom, renamed the old troff to `otroff'
> and the new device independent troff has become `troff'.  a quick
> check of programs SCO includes with their text processing system
> reveals that only one troff is included.  and if murphy has his way,
> it is the WRONG one ;-)

I believe calling the C/A/T troff 'otroff' is a standard AT&T DWB
thing to do, as is calling ditroff 'troff'.  And yes, SCO's text
processing system only includes the old troff.  (We use Elan's Eroff
package, which includes DWB with numerous bug fixes, and laserjet and
postscript postprocessors.)

--
John Owens		john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US
SMART HOUSE L.P.	uunet!jetson!john		(old uucp)

woods@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Greg Woods) (08/14/88)

In article <23@volition.dec.com> vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) writes:
>In article <5334@rpp386.UUCP> jfh@rpp386.UUCP (The Beach Bum) writes:
># plexus, in their transfinite wisdom, renamed the old troff to `otroff'
># and the new device independent troff has become `troff'.  a quick
># check of programs SCO includes with their text processing system
># reveals that only one troff is included.  and if murphy has his way,
># it is the WRONG one ;-)

SCO were still shipping DWB 1.0, though I imagine they'll fix this slip
with the new .

>It's fairly common in recent releases of DWB for the old troff to be shipped
>as "otroff".  I wish DWB as shipped with ISC 386/ix had this feature.  As it
>is, my 386/ix system can't run troff to the HP LJ2 because even though I have
>troff2lj, I don't have otroff.  So I use nroff.  Bletcherous.
>Anybody got a free solution to this?  I've asked ISC for otroff, but they
>ignored me.  Sigh.

I also use nroff, though I haven't quite got my (thank god (or AT&T?),
new style) nterm entry quite correct for it.  It seems to ignore top
margin settings unless I reset it first.  [Paul, have you got a working one?]

If someone could send me the source of <<ANY>> ditroff post processor,
and docs for the printer it supports, I'll get to work on a
post-processor for the HP Laserjet II (I have indirect access to one
[without any fancy font cartidges (ie no TimesRoman) :-(].)  The (thank
ISC, online) docs for ditroff output format don't go a long way to
suggest good implementations of a post- processor.

I'm also anxiously awaiting 386/ix 1.0.6, since I have also access to a
NEC Postscript PagePrinter (but it's one floor down), and the Postscript
post-processor is rumoured to be in the next release!

>(Speaking as an individual, DEC doesn't have any 386 systems that I know of.)
Too bad, they should realy be investigating the competition.

Anyone know if Prentice-Hall will be able to publish the DWB 2.0 manuals
and guides?  ISC really need to get their own *full* set of manuals
printed.  Many corportate customers, including my clients, despise
having to go to the book store for the documentation, and then finding
it comes in paper-back only.  IBM leads this battle by a light-year!
--
						Greg Woods.

UUCP: utgpu!woods, utgpu!{ontmoh, ontmoh!ixpierre}!woods
VOICE: (416) 242-7572 [h]		LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

edf@rocky2.rockefeller.edu (David MacKenzie) (08/14/88)

Comp.sources.unix volume 3 (ends feb 86) contains a ditroff to LaserJet
translator.  I haven't tried it (I don't have ditroff).  Sverre Froyen,
troff2lj's other author, is now using a ditroff to LaserJet translator
also.  I don't know if it is the above one or a modification of troff2lj.

David MacKenzie

rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (08/19/88)

In article <169@fesk.UUCP> sverre@fesk.UUCP (Sverre Froyen) writes:

>I will try to get ditroff2lj in a form suitable for posting to
>comp.sources.misc.  It may take a couple of weeks.  This version is
>not a modification of troff2lj, but rather a rewrite of the mod.sources
>vol. 3 version mentioned above.  Like the original version of troff2lj
>it only works with font cartridges.  It works quite well with the
>K-cartridge and reasonable well with the Z-cartridge.  I use it with
>the K- and J-cartridges and use the J-cartridge for the CW fonts.

We may have two ditroff to HP LJ Series II packages to choose from then.
It appears, pending the completion of a port to BSD, that our package,
"JetRoff"(tm) will find it's way to comp.sources.misc.  JetRoff already runs
under System V.2 and V.3.  JetRoff will be posted as Shareware, so for
the *really poor* folks out there you can get Sverre's program.  But
for a really complete version, you'll want to wait for JetRoff:

	- Includes R, I, B, H, HI, HB, HD, CW, S, SI, and ST fonts
	  in sizes 4-40, stored in a compressed format.
	- Can use HP compatible Soft Fonts.
	- Downloads glyphs as needed
	- Supports all pic, eqn, tbl, and grap documents
	- Can include three different types of bitmaps in your
	  documents via simple macro.  Ability to add user defined types.
	- Text automatically flows around the bitmap (if you want to).
	- Can print in landscape or portrait orientations
	- Can print multiple logical pages per physical page
	- Can print 4 manual pages on front and back of legal paper
	- Automatic Adaptive Rasterization allows complex pic diagrams
	  to print on the HP, where other commercial products just
	  come up with the ERROR 21.
	- Has already been ported to the $#!&% 80286.

JetRoff isn't a rewrite of anything.  It was written from scratch
with the goal being a complete implementation.  I couldn't see paying
$800 and up for software to support a lousy $1600 printer!

Vix: would you pay *a reasonable amount* for Shareware?
Net: Should I post now, and post BSD patches later?

--
		Rick Richardson, PC Research, Inc.

(201) 542-3734 (voice, nights)   OR     (201) 389-8963 (voice, days)
uunet!pcrat!rick (UUCP)			rick%pcrat.uucp@uunet.uu.net (INTERNET)

gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) (08/19/88)

In article <555@pcrat.UUCP> rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
->We may have two ditroff to HP LJ Series II packages to choose from then.
->It appears, pending the completion of a port to BSD, that our package,
->"JetRoff"(tm) will find it's way to comp.sources.misc.  JetRoff already runs
->under System V.2 and V.3.  JetRoff will be posted as Shareware, so for
->the *really poor* folks out there you can get Sverre's program.  But
->for a really complete version, you'll want to wait for JetRoff:

    Is there some reason why this kind of stuff isn't available for the
 LN03 (DEC) printer ?
    I almost bought HP's laser jet but when I went to actually order it,
 I discovered that DEC had just come out with the LN03. Since most all of
 our other hardware is DEC and we are running DEC's Ultrix operating system
 silly me thought buying a DEC printer would mean having a greater chance
 of being able to make full use of all printer functions. What I ended up
 with was a printer full of capibilities but no way to use any of them.

 Gordon P. Vickers
 {mips, pyramid, philabs}!prls!gordon