[comp.sources.bugs] Information about MDB & CDB

Menelaos@ucl-cs.UUCP (11/22/88)

Dear all,

I came across the names of two debuggers: MDB & CDB.

I tried to find any information about them but I

haven't succeeded yet. Does any of you know anything

about them.

               **                                               **
               **            Name: Menelaos Menelaou            **
               **                                               **
               **    Address: Department of Computer Science,   **
               **             University College London,        **
               **             Gower Street,                     **
               **             LONDON WC1E 6BT.                  **
               **                                               **
               **          Email: menelaou@uk.ac.ucl.cs         **
               **                                               **

fox@marlow.uucp (Paul Fox) (11/29/88)

In article <84@ucl-cs.UUCP> Menelaos@ucl-cs.UUCP writes:

>Dear all,
>
>I came across the names of two debuggers: MDB & CDB.

I wrote a debugger called cdb once, do you have any more
info on CDB ? I might be able to help.

=====================
     //        o      All opinions are my own.
   (O)        ( )     The powers that be ...
  /    \_____( )
 o  \         |
    /\____\__/        Tel: +44 628 891313 x. 212
  _/_/   _/_/         UUCP:     fox@marlow.uucp

jom@belltec.UUCP (Jerry Merlaine) (12/01/88)

Well, the only MDB that I know of is a Streams Module DeBugger written
by one of our suppliers, Streamlined Networks (415-659-1450).

MDB allows you to write Streams modules in user mode, by simulating
the kernel environment that a Streams module expects to see.
You can run the module as a program, under sdb, and check out new
changes to it easily before compiling it in the kernel.

There is a 'trapdoor' module in the kernel that sends all Streams
messages it gets to your module, and everything your module emits
pops out of this trapdoor.  Thus, you can run your module in the
middle of a module I_PUSH/I_LINK lattice in the kernel, and run all
your test programs.  You can do the first 90% of the developement
cycle using MDB.  (The last 10% involves flow control strategies and
interrupt latency, which can't be handled this way.)

Does this sound familiar?

Jerry O. Merlaine

thompson@orville.nas.nasa.gov (Keith C. Thompson) (12/14/88)

MDB & CDB are products of a company called Third Eye Software
located in Menlo Park CA.  Their phone number is 415-321-0967.

They are reachable on the net at pyramid!thirdi!peter

CDB is a source level debugger that has an extremely well
debugged (amazing actually compared to other debuggers)
expression evaluator.  It works with both COFF and DBX style
debugging symbols.  MDB is a multiprocess versiopn of CDB.

CDB is a trademark of Third Eye Software.

-Keith (also thompson@orville.nas.nasa.gov)