[comp.sources.bugs] PAX problems with linked files

woods@tmsoft.uucp (Greg Woods) (03/18/89)

When doing a listing of an archive, linked files are shown as all
linked to the first file that has a link count of more than one.
Howerver the archive seems to be OK, as when old-tar is used to to a
listing, or extraction, it gets everthing right.  I've not been able
to identify the cause of this problem yet.

I would also like to see extraction always create under the current
directory, regardless of whether there is a leading slash on the
filename stored in the archive.  It thought this is what the
documentation ment by "relative to the current directory".  I will
probably make this modification myself anyway.

Also on my wish list is some way of making cartridge tapes stream,
perhaps forking a child off to do the write, and then reading another
buffer, before waiting on the child.  This would hopefully make disk
reads and tape writes asynchronus.  It isn't obvious to me how this
might be done with the current buffer scheme.

My compliments to the peace-maker of the archivers!  I now use it to
do all backups an offline storage on my client's NCR Tower 32/600.
--
						Greg Woods.

woods@{{tmsoft,utgpu,gate,ontmoh}.UUCP,utorgpu.BITNET,gpu.utcs.Toronto.EDU}
1-416-443-1734 [h]	1-416-595-5425 [w]		Toronto, Ontario, Canada

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) (03/19/89)

In article <1989Mar17.174014.15444@tmsoft.uucp>, woods@tmsoft.uucp (Greg Woods) writes:

> I would also like to see extraction always create under the current
> directory, regardless of whether there is a leading slash on the
> filename stored in the archive.  It thought this is what the
> documentation ment by "relative to the current directory".  I will
> probably make this modification myself anyway.

UNOS' archive-reader program (installation) takes an argument to strip
a leading string from filenames, which not only handles turning absolute
pathnames into relative pathnames but also things like "/mnt/".  You might
want to adopt that.
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (508) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, john@frog.UUCP, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw@eddie.mit.edu

"He should be put in stocks in Lafeyette Square across from the White House
 and pelted with dead cats."	- George F. Will

gsf@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Glenn Fowler[drew]) (03/20/89)

In article <1122@frog.UUCP>, john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) writes:
> In article <1989Mar17.174014.15444@tmsoft.uucp>, woods@tmsoft.uucp (Greg Woods) writes:
> > I would also like to see extraction always create under the current
> > directory, regardless of whether there is a leading slash on the ...
> UNOS' archive-reader program (installation) takes an argument to strip
> a leading string from filenames, which not only handles turning ...

no need to hack the semantics

the -s option allows ed(1) style substitutions on archive pathnames
makes all archive pathnames relative to . and
collapses all pathnames to ./<base> (any delimiter, `comma' here, is valid)
--
Glenn Fowler    (201)-582-2195    AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ
uucp: {att,decvax,ucbvax}!ulysses!gsf       internet: gsf@ulysses.att.com