[comp.sources.bugs] Elm 2.2 not entering raw mode

bbishop@tamcad.intel.com (Brian Bishop) (04/19/89)

Okay, so I am not a curses hacker, so I need help.

I am running ULTRIX 2.? on a 11/750, and Elm 2.2 doesn't enter raw
mode.  This is even worse than one might think as when the pager exits
and elm says "i to return to index page" (or something like that), one
must type i <RET>.  Now elm thinks the return means read the message.
I endup generating a QUIT to bail out.

I ran configure with nothing strange.  It thought I was on BSD
(unrelated note - even though configure couldn't find uname, it tried
to use it anyways).

Our mailer understands all domains except UUCP, so I am unable to
write the coordinator directly.  Help is, of course, appreciated.
--
Brian Lloyd Bishop                            bbishop@tamcad.intel.com

bbishop@tamcad.intel.com (Brian Bishop ~) (04/20/89)

In article <467@iccdev.UUCP> bill@iccdev.UUCP (Bill Gaines) writes:
(My own text deleted)

>I noticed that return re-read the message also.  I then found out that
>pressing the space bar will go on to the next operation (either read
>the next message or go back to the main menu).

Nope.  Space bar just moves the cursor across the screen, and when I hit
return, elm sees the several spaces and acts on them by displaying lots
of messages.

Elm REALLY isn't going into raw mode.  The 'i' I type gets echoed.
Has anybody gotten elm to work on ULTRIX?
--
Brian Lloyd Bishop                            bbishop@tamcad.intel.com

mam@gvgspd.GVG.TEK.COM (Mark A. Matthews) (04/20/89)

In article <3925@mipos3.intel.com> bbishop@tamcad.intel.com (Brian Bishop) writes:
>I am running ULTRIX 2.? on a 11/750, and Elm 2.2 doesn't enter raw
>mode.  This is even worse than one might think as when the pager exits
>and elm says "i to return to index page" (or something like that), one
>must type i <RET>.  Now elm thinks the return means read the message.
>I endup generating a QUIT to bail out.
>
>I ran configure with nothing strange.  It thought I was on BSD
>(unrelated note - even though configure couldn't find uname, it tried
>to use it anyways).
>Brian Lloyd Bishop                            bbishop@tamcad.intel.com

I ran into the same problem.  (Ultrix 2.0 on uVax II).  Turns out to be that
Configure gets a bit confused with all the system 5'isms contained in
Ultrix.  Configure ends up finding termio.h due to the order that it
searches.  Later on when compiling elm, The curses library used is expecting
BSD ioctls but is getting called with sys 5 (so I think.)  Anyway, elm ends
up in half-cooked mode and won't do anything until it receives a newline.

To hack around it, run Configure and edit the config.sh script when you get
the opportunity at the end of Configure. Make d_termlib='-ltermcap' and
d_term_io=''.  Then config, make and install.

A more permanent fix would require detecting Ultrix before hunting for
libraries.  One possible way is to look for the pre-defined 'ultrix'
produced by the C compiler.

--
-Mark (mam@gvgspd.GVG.TEK.COM -or- ..!tektronix!gvgpsa!gvgspd!mam)

jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) (04/21/89)

From article <3925@mipos3.intel.com>, by bbishop@tamcad.intel.com (Brian Bishop):
> Okay, so I am not a curses hacker, so I need help.
>
> I am running ULTRIX 2.? on a 11/750, and Elm 2.2 doesn't enter raw
> mode.

This is a bug in the Configure script.  Do another configure and when
asked if you want to edit config.sh type  !vi config.sh

Now find the line that reads like this:
termio='define'
and change it to
termio='undef'
also find the line which specifies 'termlib' and change it to 'termcap'.
Finish up the edit and then hit return at the config.sh re-prompt.
All will be well from then on.  This bug appears to be caused by
Configure finding termio.h and making a lot of assumptions which
aren't true on Ultrix.
--
  ______    JANET :jonathan@uk.ac.keele.cs     Jonathan Knight,
    /       BITNET:jonathan%cs.kl.ac.uk@ukacrl Department of Computer Science