[comp.sources.bugs] elm/mailx incompability

joe@modcomp.UUCP (05/18/89)

I'm having a bit of a problem with mail, sent via elm, being read by
mailx users.  The mailx users hang when doing a group reply ('r' cmd)
to headers of a certain syntax.

I've traced the problem to the parenthetical comments in the "Cc:" line
placed there by elm (eg, "Cc: joe (Joe Korty), root (Administrator)").
Further research also shows that the comments also prevent the 'r' cmd
from finding more than the first name on the "To:" line, although this
failure doesn't hang mailx.

Does anyone else have this problem?  A good solution?  The obvious
solution of eliminating elm aliases doesn't work perfectly; since elm
mail arriving from other systems can have the parenthetical comments
attached.

OS used: derivative of motorola r3v5 (AT&T V.3.1 based).

joe korty
uunet!modcomp!joe

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (05/19/89)

Trash mailx -- seriously

Comments like that are perfectly fine in RFC822 headers.  From the
lineage of mailx ... well, lets just say it's ooooooooooold.

Use mush.  It's upwards compatible, compatible with RFC822, and
better written to boot.
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

cowan@marob.MASA.COM (John Cowan) (05/20/89)

In article <38100001@modcomp> joe@modcomp.UUCP writes:

>I'm having a bit of a problem with mail, sent via elm, being read by
>mailx users.  The mailx users hang when doing a group reply ('r' cmd)
>to headers of a certain syntax.

You're stuck with it.  The only workaround is to use the 'R' command
exclusively and forget about group replies.  I automatically use the 'R'
command for all messages when running mailx.
--
John Cowan <cowan@marob.masa.com> or <cowan@magpie.masa.com>
UUCP mailers:  ...!uunet!hombre!{marob,magpie}!cowan