[comp.sources.bugs] Is there a good Perl book out?

wyle@inf.ethz.ch (Mitchell Wyle) (08/31/89)

I am still using awk because the book _The_AWK_Programming_Language_ is
so good.  The examples in the book are useful and motivating.

Perl is better than awk.  The man page is slightly better than awk's.
There is no book as good as A,W, and K's, however :-(

Are there enough of us who would buy the book to make it worth NASA's
while to pay Larry to write it?

Is there any political support (politics a la X-windows) to get someone
else to write it?

Is there a Perl-users mailing list?

A tout alors mes amours,   -Mitch

jgreely@oz.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (09/01/89)

In article <1318@ethz-inf.UUCP> wyle@inf.ethz.ch (Mitchell Wyle) writes:
>Perl is better than awk.  The man page is slightly better than awk's.
>There is no book as good as A,W, and K's, however :-(
>Are there enough of us who would buy the book to make it worth NASA's
>while to pay Larry to write it?

Maybe, but what would you *call* it?  "Kitchen Sink Shell
Programming"?  "Cultered Perl"?  "Diamonds in Perl"?  "Never mind the
catsup, pass the features"?

>Is there a Perl-users mailing list?

No, but we could always start one.  The scripts to manage it would, of
course, be in Perl (I have this nifty digest-maker, pity it breaks
under 3.0a...).  As soon as my job situation settles a bit, I'd even
be willing to run it.

		"Okay, Max, we need something from
		 each of the four basic food groups:
		 something from the dough-and-frosting
		 group, something from the carbonation-
		 and-caramel-coloring group --"

					"How about the chewy-nougat-
					 center-and-chocolaty-coating
					 group?"

		"Don't forget the orange marshmellow
		 peanuts!  I think those are a
		 vegetable."
-=-
J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)

J Greely <jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
: Maybe, but what would you *call* it?  "Kitchen Sink Shell
: Programming"?  "Cultered Perl"?  "Diamonds in Perl"?  "Never mind the
: catsup, pass the features"?

"Don't Cast Your Perl's Before Swine", obviously.  :-)

I am seriously considering writing a Perl book in my copious free time.
After all, it's the only way I'm ever gonna make any money off it.
Unless there's some billionaire out there that wants to set up a
foundation for aging techno-nerd hackers like me...

How about "The Perl of Great Price"?

Larry Wall
lwall@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov

bvs@light.uucp (Bakul Shah) (09/03/89)

In article <5941@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> lwall@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Larry Wall) writes:
>How about "The Perl of Great Price"?

How about `programming perl'...

-- Bakul Shah <..!{ames,sun,ucbvax,uunet}!amdcad!light!bvs>

tli@sargas.usc.edu (Tony Li) (09/03/89)

The Perloined Program?

Tony Li - USC University Computing Services
Internet: tli@usc.edu	Uucp: usc!tli	Bitnet: tli@gamera, tli@ramoth
This is a test.  This is a only a test.  In the event of a real life
you would have been given instructions.

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (09/05/89)

The Perls of Perline?
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

jgreely@oz.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (09/07/89)

In article <12552@s.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu
 (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
>The Perls of Perline?

Judging from the general reaction around here, that should be "The
Perils of Perling".

  How about "Stalking the SysAdmin with Perl and Hatchet"?

				"I know it's not Unix, but it's
				 *convenient*!"
-=-
J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)