[comp.sources.bugs] Perl 3.0 manual

drw@math.mit.edu (Dale R. Worley) (09/11/89)

Am I the only one who has a hard time getting part 2 of the manual
through nroff?  I try

	nroff -man perl.man.2 [or whatever] >file

and I find that much of the output is in a strange one-word-per-line
format.

Dale

wnp@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (09/11/89)

In article <14220@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> drw@math.mit.edu (Dale R. Worley) writes:
>Am I the only one who has a hard time getting part 2 of the manual
>through nroff?  I try
>
>	nroff -man perl.man.2 [or whatever] >file
>
>and I find that much of the output is in a strange one-word-per-line
>format.

The four parts of perl.man are designed to be concatenated into
one file prior to running through [nt]roff.

There is some initialization code (i.e. page params, macro defs, etc)
at the beginning of perl.man.1 which is not in the other files; thus
running them through individually does not work.

If you don't want to create a large file containing perl.man (ca. 140K),
try this:

  cat perl.man.? | nroff -man > file

That should work -- at least it did for me.

Wolf
UUCP:   {texbell, attctc, dalsqnt}!dcs!wnp
DOMAIN: wnp@attctc.dallas.tx.us or wnp%dcs@texbell.swbt.com
        NOTICE: As of July 3, 1989, "killer" has become "attctc".