[comp.sources.bugs] perl 3.0 patchlevel 1 op.magic test fails

jhpb@lancia.ATT.COM (Joseph H. Buehler) (11/09/89)

perl 3.0 patchlevel 1 on a 3B2/600 running SVR3.2

No hacks of my own, except for commenting out the 3 #defines having to
do with those non-existent password fields.

The op.magic test fails on test 3 for some reason.  This test looks to
me like it's testing signal-catching functionality for SIGINT.

Anyone fix this yet?
--
Joe Buehler

weiss@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (edward.j.weiss) (11/10/89)

In article <JHPB.89Nov9074935@lancia.ATT.COM> jhpb@lancia.ATT.COM (Joseph H. Buehler) writes:
> perl 3.0 patchlevel 1 on a 3B2/600 running SVR3.2
>
> No hacks of my own, except for commenting out the 3 #defines having to
> do with those non-existent password fields.
>
> The op.magic test fails on test 3 for some reason.  This test looks to
> me like it's testing signal-catching functionality for SIGINT.
>
> Anyone fix this yet?

The problem is in the way configure determines signal names. It creates
a shell var called sig_name.  You need to correct it.

In config.sh it should be comething like:

sig_name='ZERO HUP INT QUIT ILL TRAP IOT EMT FPE KILL BUS SEGV SYS PIPE ALRM TERM USR1 USR2 CHLD PWR'

In config.h it should be comething like:

#define SIG_NAME "ZERO","HUP","INT","QUIT","ILL","TRAP","IOT","EMT","FPE","KILL","BUS","SEGV","SYS","PIPE","ALRM","TERM","USR1","USR2","CHLD","PWR"

I have sent in the problem to Larry.
--

Ed Weiss	   "I thought it was generally accepted, sir, that
att!ihlpf!spock     Vulcans are an advanced and most honorable race."

carlson@scooter.PLSN.CA.US (Joe Carlson) (11/10/89)

In article <JHPB.89Nov9074935@lancia.ATT.COM> jhpb@lancia.ATT.COM (Joseph H. Buehler) writes:
>perl 3.0 patchlevel 1 on a 3B2/600 running SVR3.2
>
>The op.magic test fails on test 3 for some reason.  This test looks to
>me like it's testing signal-catching functionality for SIGINT.
>Joe Buehler

	This test tries to open a >14 char filename which is a real
no-no on S5R3.  I just truncated the string to 14 chars and everything was
fine.
joe

jhpb@lancia.ATT.COM (Joseph H. Buehler) (11/10/89)

    >perl 3.0 patchlevel 1 on a 3B2/600 running SVR3.2
    >
    >The op.magic test fails on test 3 for some reason.  This test looks to
    >me like it's testing signal-catching functionality for SIGINT.
    >Joe Buehler

    	This test tries to open a >14 char filename which is a real
    no-no on S5R3.  I just truncated the string to 14 chars and everything was
    fine.
    joe

I don't know about that, but I found this:

There is an undocumented (as far as I can tell) -l option to the kill
command in SVR3 UNIX, that lists the available signals:

blinder $ kill -l # 3B2/600 running SVR3.2
 1) HUP
 2) INT
 3) QUIT
 4) ILL
 5) TRAP
 6) IOT
 7) EMT
 8) FPE
 9) KILL
10) BUS
11) SEGV
12) SYS
13) PIPE
14) ALRM
15) TERM
16) USR1
17) USR2
18) CLD
19) PWR
20) bad trap
21) bad trap
22) POLL
blinder $

Under some conditions, which I haven't figured out yet, the list will be
output in a two column format.

Configure is using this option to figure out what signals are available,
and what number they are.  Unfortunately, this output isn't the same as
4.3 BSD, which just lists the signal names (on two lines):

$ kill -l # 4.3 BSD
HUP INT QUIT ILL TRAP IOT EMT FPE KILL BUS SEGV SYS PIPE ALRM TERM URG
STOP TSTP CONT CHLD TTIN TTOU IO XCPU XFSZ VTALRM PROF WINCH USR1 USR2
$

To make things worse, some systems output the stuff in more than one
column:

lancia $ kill -l # VAX 8600 running internal AT&T version of SVR2
 1) HUP                               11) SEGV
 2) INT                               12) SYS
 3) QUIT                              13) PIPE
 4) ILL                               14) ALRM
 5) TRAP                              15) TERM
 6) IOT                               16) USR1
 7) EMT                               17) USR2
 8) FPE                               18) CLD
 9) KILL                              19) PWR
10) BUS
lancia $

A friend tried a SUN (3?) system; it produces output similar to
lancia's, but it logs him off every time he runs it!
--
Joe Buehler