[comp.sources.bugs] Reactive keyboard bugs?

brian@dgsi.UUCP (Brian Kelley/10000000) (12/06/89)

 I have tried compiling the reactive keyboard (posted to comp.sources.unix
recently) on several different machines (Sun 3/60 v3.5, 3/260 v4.0.3 and
Apollo DN4000 SR10.1) all with the same result.  It dumps core.  I believe
it is a malloc related problem.  I checked the uunet archives and no
patches have been added to comp.sources.unix/volume20/reactivekeyboard.

Am I missing something?

---
Brian Kelley
itivax!clif!dgsi!brian

kinstrey@wsqtba.crd.ge.com (M. A. Kinstrey) (12/07/89)

In article <286@dgsi.UUCP> brian@dgsi.UUCP (Brian Kelley/10000000) writes:

> I have tried compiling the reactive keyboard (posted to comp.sources.unix
>recently) on several different machines (Sun 3/60 v3.5, 3/260 v4.0.3 and
>Apollo DN4000 SR10.1) all with the same result.  It dumps core.  I believe
>it is a malloc related problem.  I checked the uunet archives and no
>patches have been added to comp.sources.unix/volume20/reactivekeyboard.
>
>Am I missing something?
>
>---
>Brian Kelley
>itivax!clif!dgsi!brian

I compiled the code on a DEC 2000 workstation/ULTRIX 3.0 ,
and it dumped core too. I mucked with it a little, but gave up.
I don't have the time to debug posted software, so if it doesn't work with
minimal hacking, I remove it.

I haven't seen any patches posted either.

kinstrey@wsqtba.crd.ge.com | "Balls." said the queen, "Balls."
kinstrey@wsqtba.UUCP       | "If I had them I'd be King."
___________________________|__________________________________________________

kinzler@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Stephen Kinzler) (12/07/89)

Written by brian@dgsi.UUCP in news:comp.sources.bugs
---------- "Reactive keyboard bugs?" ----------
>  I have tried compiling the reactive keyboard (posted to comp.sources.unix
> recently) on several different machines (Sun 3/60 v3.5, 3/260 v4.0.3 and
> Apollo DN4000 SR10.1) all with the same result.  It dumps core.  I believe
> it is a malloc related problem.

If I remember correctly, adding "-lmalloc" to the cc command line in
the Makefile got it to compile correctly on our Ultrix system.

|  ., >{~)  ['} /           Stephen Kinzler           \ + < : ~$[~{}== |
| % > %()}@! ' /     kinzler@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu      \ '}~{ >' & )<} |
| <@"??{.,'}  /    {ames,rutgers,att}!iuvax!kinzler     \ &"(&@+}<+;@) |
|  ])"}  +{) /   Indiana Univ Dept of Computer Science   \  @ }[^??^&. |

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (12/07/89)

I tried to get RK working on both System V and BSD systems. It core dumped
or locked up my screen. I find the idea of RK intriguing, but after messing
with it a while, I decided it was a waste of my time and "rm"d it.

If someone manages to get it into a quasi-portable state, give me a ring.

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey          sean@ms.uky.edu, sean@ukma.bitnet, ukma!sean
***  Copyright 1989 by Sean Casey. Only non-profit redistribution permitted.

ubi@ginger.sri.com (Ron Ueberschaer x4399) (12/07/89)

I got it to work on our Sun4, but not on a Sun3 to which it
was networked.  Don't know why...

It's really a neat program, but one thing annoys me:  when
starting vi from an rk shell, rk is advertised to "turn itself
off."  This it does, but it seems to effect what the system
thinks my terminal is, ergo vi messes up.  Do I have to tell
the rk shell to import my termcap stuff, or what?

--Ron Ueberschaer
  SRI International
  ubi@unix.sri.com
  ...!{hplabs, rutgers}!sri-unix!ubi

anantha%ravi@Sun.COM (Anantha Srirama) (12/08/89)

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>I tried to get RK working on both System V and BSD systems. It core dumped
>or locked up my screen. I find the idea of RK intriguing, but after messing
>with it a while, I decided it was a waste of my time and "rm"d it.

>If someone manages to get it into a quasi-portable state, give me a ring.

>Sean
>--
>***  Sean Casey          sean@ms.uky.edu, sean@ukma.bitnet, ukma!sean
>***  Copyright 1989 by Sean Casey. Only non-profit redistribution permitted.
>***  "I sometimes get 30 or more mail messages a day. If you ask me: "Did
>***  you get my mail?" I am going to ask, "What was it about?"  - me

I am using rk(1) on a regular basis with no problem on a sun3/160 running
4.0.3.  I too had the same problem you folks are reporting.  Someone posted
a bug fix for this problem a while back (to this group I think though I
am not sure on this).  It was very trivial.  Try sending mail to the author
of the program, he may be able to help you.

	-Anantha-

Anantha Padmanabha N. Srirama		|  USENET:  ...sun!anantha@Eng
Sun Microsystems			|  ARPA:    anantha@Eng.Sun.COM
2550, Garcia Ave.  MS: 16-02		|