[comp.sources.bugs] trn and crossposting

seanf@sco.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (12/11/90)

The version of trn I have does not appear to support crossposting.  This
makes it very annoying, as I keep reading the same article over and over and
over...

Anybody else notice this, and is there a fix available?  (I need my fix,
*now*! 8-))

Thanks...

--
-----------------+
Sean Eric Fagan  | "*Never* knock on Death's door:  ring the bell and

chris@bullwinkle.UUCP (Chris Andersen (The Dangerous Guy)) (12/12/90)

In article <9153@scolex.sco.COM> seanf@sco.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:

>The version of trn I have does not appear to support crossposting.  This
>makes it very annoying, as I keep reading the same article over and over and
>over...
>
>Anybody else notice this, and is there a fix available?  (I need my fix,
>*now*! 8-))

I think the problem is that the normal cross-posting mechanism of rn while
reading articles is still working, but it doesn't work in the thread menu
section (i.e. kill a thread which has crossposted articles and those articles
will still appear when you go to read another newsgroup).  Are there any plans
to "fix" this?

--
Chris Andersen (..!uunet!sequent!toontown!chris)

  "Life: live it or live with it!"  -- Firesign Theater

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (12/12/90)

I knew I should have cancelled this.

Anyway, the problem (at SCO) was that Configure assumed that our version of
news did not deal with the 'Relay-Version:' line, even though it does.  As a
result, it never checked that for cross-posting.

I changed a define in config.h, and it works now.

Thanks to everyone who replied, one way or the other...

sef@kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."

In article <1366@bullwinkle.UUCP> chris@toontown.UUCP (Chris Andersen (The Dangerous Guy)) writes:
:In article <9153@scolex.sco.COM> seanf@sco.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:

:>The version of trn I have does not appear to support crossposting.  This
:>makes it very annoying, as I keep reading the same article over and over and
:>over...

:I think the problem is that the normal cross-posting mechanism of rn while
:reading articles is still working, but it doesn't work in the thread menu
:section (i.e. kill a thread which has crossposted articles and those articles
:will still appear when you go to read another newsgroup).  Are there any plans
:to "fix" this?

I've already asked the author about this.  It uses the catch-up code to
do this, and doesn't go hunting down all the xrefs, which would take
much longer.  He says it's not likely to change.  Don't worry, you'll
eventually become inured to this behavior.

--tom
--
Tom Christiansen		tchrist@convex.com	convex!tchrist
"With a kernel dive, all things are possible, but it sure makes it hard