[comp.sources.bugs] cvs-problems

jms@unix386.Convergent.COM (John Sully) (05/15/91)

ulli@cadlab.de (Ulli Blancke) writes:

>We have problems retrieving modules from cvs. To give you an exact picture
>we discribe here what we have done, but most interesting should be the
>end ....

[...]

>edit file modules to contain the line
>	ex	ex a b

[...]

>trying to retrieve the information DOES NOT SUCCEED!!!!!!
>	$ cd ~/newdir
>	$ cvs co ex
>	cvs: nothing known about a
>	cvs: nothing known about b
>	cvs: failed; correct the above errors first

It looks like you did everything right, the problem may be that your module
name and the name of the directory are the same.  I haven't tried this sort
of setup here, preferring instead to use the alias mechanism.  Perhaps trying
something like:

	foo	ex a b

in your modules file will work a little bit better.  After this try:

	cvs co foo

and it should create a directory "foo" in your current directory.  If you
don't have the "ex" entry in your modules file it will also work as expected.

The modules mechanism does have it's bugs, mostly having to do with nested
aliases, but they can be worked around without too much trouble.

BTW: I'm posting followups to comp.sources.bugs, since that seems to be a
better place for this discussion.

John M. Sully
Unisys Corporation
2700 N. First St.
San Jose, CA 95150

Phone : (408) 435-3129
E-Mail: jms@unix386.convergent.com

ulli@cadlab.de (Ulli Blancke) (05/17/91)

   From: jms@unix386.Convergent.COM (John Sully)
   Newsgroups: comp.unix.misc,comp.sources.bugs
   Date: 14 May 91 17:43:25 GMT

   ulli@cadlab.de (Ulli Blancke) writes:

   >We have problems retrieving modules from cvs. To give you an exact picture
   >we discribe here what we have done, but most interesting should be the
   >end ....

   [...]

   >edit file modules to contain the line
   >	ex	ex a b

   [...]

   >trying to retrieve the information DOES NOT SUCCEED!!!!!!
   >	$ cd ~/newdir
   >	$ cvs co ex
   >	cvs: nothing known about a
   >	cvs: nothing known about b
   >	cvs: failed; correct the above errors first

   It looks like you did everything right, the problem may be that your module
   name and the name of the directory are the same.  I haven't tried this sort
   of setup here, preferring instead to use the alias mechanism.  Perhaps trying
   something like:

	   foo	ex a b

   in your modules file will work a little bit better.  After this try:

	   cvs co foo

   and it should create a directory "foo" in your current directory.  If you
   don't have the "ex" entry in your modules file it will also work as expected.

   The modules mechanism does have it's bugs, mostly having to do with nested
   aliases, but they can be worked around without too much trouble.

   BTW: I'm posting followups to comp.sources.bugs, since that seems to be a
   better place for this discussion.

   John M. Sully
   Unisys Corporation
   2700 N. First St.
   San Jose, CA 95150

   Phone : (408) 435-3129
   E-Mail: jms@unix386.convergent.com

Thank you for all answers. My mistake was that I used version 1.0 of
cvs with rcs5.5. As I heard, I have to use cvs1.2. Actually I get this
version from a server here in europa. I tested this version and it
work.

Thanks you

--
Ulrich Blancke			Bahnhofstr. 32