[comp.mail.misc] Ultrix vs VMS mail, round one

lamy@ai.toronto.edu (01/10/87)

I have an account on a far away VMS machine.  The said machine speaks to
Ultrix machines willing and able to gateway mail to the UUCP world, and
I am able to send messages both ways.

Now a weid feature of the setup or the software prevents me frrom forwarding
my mail here: if somebody else (on a mailing list, say) is using the same
Ultrix host to also forward mail to a UUCP address, kboom...  It seems
MANNIX::"a@foo,b@bar" works fine, but not MANNIX::"a@foo",MANNI::"b@bar".
Since people can forward their mail individually, it is not just a matter of
sanitizing mailing lists...

Since the SAs there don't have their Unix black belts yet, I am testing these
waters.  The machines are running Ultrix 1.2 and VMS 4.2 orbetter.

Jean-Francois Lamy 		       CSNet:  lamy@ai.toronto.edu
AI Group, Dept of Computer Science     ARPA:   lamy%ai.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net
University of Toronto		       EAN:    lamy@ai.toronto.cdn
Toronto, ON, Canada		       UUCP:   lamy@utai.uucp
M5S 1A4				       BITNET: lamy@ai.utoronto

simon@einode.UUCP (Simon Kenyon) (01/12/87)

lamy@ai.toronto.edu:
> I have an account on a far away VMS machine.  The said machine speaks to
> Ultrix machines willing and able to gateway mail to the UUCP world, and
> I am able to send messages both ways.
> Now a weid feature of the setup or the software prevents me frrom forwarding
> my mail here: if somebody else (on a mailing list, say) is using the same
> Ultrix host to also forward mail to a UUCP address, kboom...  It seems
> MANNIX::"a@foo,b@bar" works fine, but not MANNIX::"a@foo",MANNI::"b@bar".
> Since people can forward their mail individually, it is not just a matter of
> sanitizing mailing lists...
i am not sure whether this is your problem or not, but...
the supplied sendmail.cf files supplied with ultrix 1.2 have extremely poor
support for decnet (which is what you appear to be using)
i have "fixed" this problem here, but it invloves a whole new sendmail.cf
you probably don't want that.
what i do is transform :: to ! and treat as uucp.
when it goes to the mail11 mailer it is transformed back to ::
let me know if you want my sendmail.cf
--
Simon Kenyon
EUnet: simon@einode.UUCP