[comp.mail.misc] Information on X.400<->Arpa mail

lane@dalcs.UUCP (01/17/87)

In article <2341@dalcs.UUCP> thompson@dalcs.UUCP (Michael A. Thompson) writes:
>The actual name of the company is Sydney Development Corporation,
>...based in B.C. and is the "Commercial Wing" of the ean project.

FYI:

Name: Sydney Development Corp.
Mailbox: sydney@ean.ubc.cdn
Phone: (604) 734-8822
Address:
	Sydney Development Corp.
	600-1385 West 8th Ave.
	Vancouver, B.C., Canada
	V6H 3V9

Or you might try one of:
{dcle sutcliffe caleb bill pauline mike erik bruce ppan neil john alnoor
 stuart pam norm roger karim sadowski bob duncan bmea ted carrie mark lau
 jean et}@sydney.cdn

Also note the following entries in the uucp map for BC:

#N	ubc-andrew
#O	The University of British Columbia, Computer Scinece
#C	Frank Pronk
#E	ubc-andrew!postmaster
#T	+1 604 228 4392
#R	Distributed Systems Research Group X.25/X.400 development system
#W	Frank Pronk (pronk@ubc-vision.uucp); Wed Feb 5 22:00 PST 1986

#N	ubc-ean
#O	University of British Columbia, Dept. of Computer Science
#C	John Demco
#E	ubc-vision!ubc-ean!postmaster
#T	+1 604 228 6537
#R	Distributed Systems Research Group X.25/X.400 development system
#W	Frank Pronk (pronk@ubc-vision.uucp); Wed Feb 5 22:00 PST 1986

Note that for you Arpanauts these addresses would (should?) be:
	user%site.cdn%ubc.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

Good luck!

--
John Wright      //////////////////      Phone:  902-424-3805  or  902-424-6527
Post:  c/o Dr Pat Lane, Biology Dept, Dalhousie U, Halifax, NS, Canada, B3H-1J4

lamy@ai.toronto.edu (01/17/87)

In article <2359@dalcs.UUCP> lane@dalcs.UUCP (John Wright/Dr. Pat Lane) writes:
>Note that for you Arpanauts these addresses would (should?) be:
>	user%site.cdn%ubc.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

Things are getting better. In MY EXPERIENCE,
        user%site.cdn@relay.cs.net
will work (relay.cs.net is now the official name of machine csnet-relay)
relay.cs.net then kicks messages to whoever the official EAN gateway is.

Can MX records be used to redirect all arpa mail to a top level domain site
through the appropriate gateway (I hope so...)?  If so, has this been done
for .cdn and the other national organizations (.uk, .chunet, ...)

Jean-Francois Lamy 		       CSNet:  lamy@ai.toronto.edu
AI Group, Dept of Computer Science     ARPA:   lamy%ai.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net
University of Toronto		       EAN:    lamy@ai.toronto.cdn
Toronto, ON, Canada		       UUCP:   lamy@utai.uucp
M5S 1A4				       BITNET: lamy@ai.utoronto

draskoy@ubc-cs.UUCP (01/28/87)

This got bit-bucketed by ubc-ean's inews, so here's a repost:

=====

In article <2359@dalcs.UUCP> lane@dalcs.UUCP (John Wright) writes
[various things about EAN, UBC, and Sydney Development Corporation, mostly
gleaned from the EAN directory service.]

Let me clarify things a bit.  EAN originated at UBC and is being jointly
developed by UBC's EAN R&D Group, CDNnet (the Canadian EAN network), and
Sydney Development Corporation.  Sydney has the commercial rights to EAN.

EAN is an X.400 implementation for BSD, SysV, VMS, VM/CMS, Guardian, and
other OSs.  It has been used internationally as the basis for several research
networks.  Since the original articles in this discussion were asking about
X.400/ARPA gateways and RFC987 in particular, I should mention that the
BSD version of EAN supports an RFC822 gateway, but it is not completely
RFC987 compatable, since it predates that standard by a couple of years.

If you are interested, there are a couple of people you could contact,
depending on who you are.  People looking to use EAN for commercial
purposes should contact one of Sydney's sales people at the address below.
Universities should contact CDNnet Headquarters:

Address:
    CDNnet Headquarters
    Computing Centre
    University of British Columbia
    Vancouver, BC
    CANADA	V6T 1W5

Phone:	(604) 228-6537
Mail:	cdnnet-hq@ean.ubc.cdn
	or ean-help@ean.ubc.cdn for technical questions.

=====

Sydney's X.400 salespeople are
Bob Bostrom <bob@sydney.cdn> (contact for Canada and overseas (either sea!))
and Bob Mealey <bmea@sydney.cdn> (contact for the U.S.A.)

Address:
    Sydney Development Corp.
    600-1385 West 8th Ave.
    Vancouver, BC
    CANADA	V6H 3V9

Phone: (604) 734-8822

Note that {garfield,ubc-vision,watmath}!site.cdn!user should work
for getting from uucp to CDNnet.  From ARPAnet, user%site.cdn@relay.cs.net
works.

-----
Andrew Draskoy				(604) 228-6537