[comp.mail.misc] Suggestions for assigning pathalias value for grey-area connectivity

earle@smeagol.UUCP (02/02/87)

Informal survey:
You have a script set up to poll systems once each hour, invoked from cron
between Midnight and 8 AM.  In the script, you only poll a system if there
is a workfile for it.  Meanwhile, you have your UUCP mailer set up so that it
(eventually) calls uux with the "don't start uucico, just queue the job" flag.

For example, I have ihnp4 polled this way.

Now the problem is, what do you assign to these sites for pathalias cost data?
DEMAND only makes sense (to me) if you have it so that *anytime* there is
outgoing traffic, uucico is called.  Here, it's only allowed in the evening,
not anytime.  By the same reasoning, EVENING is wrong also, since there's no
guarantee that the site will even be called at all (in fact, it might not even
be called the whole week, if there's no traffic!)

Since DEMAND is 500, and EVENING is 1800, it would seem some value in between
would be `correct'.  The pathalias man page isn't helpful; in fact, it says :
`E.g., if a host calls a local neighbor whenever there is work, and
additionally polls every evening, the cost is DIRECT, not DIRECT+EVENING.'
whereas *I* would believe a connection like this would be DEMAND+HIGH or
something.

What do YOU think?  Replies to me via email ; I will summarize.

Thanks,
--
	Greg Earle	UUCP: sdcrdcf!smeagol!earle; attmail!earle
	JPL		ARPA: elroy!smeagol!earle@csvax.caltech.edu

jbs@mit-eddie.UUCP (02/03/87)

In article <804@smeagol.JPL.NASA.GOV> earle@smeagol.JPL.NASA.GOV (Greg Earle) writes:
>You [...] poll systems once each hour, [...]
>between Midnight and 8 AM.  [...] you only poll a system if there
>is a workfile for it.
>
>[...] what do you assign [...] for pathalias cost data?
>DEMAND only makes sense [...] if [...] *anytime* there is
>outgoing traffic, uucico is called.  Here, it's only allowed in the evening,
>not anytime.  [...], EVENING is wrong also, since there's no
>guarantee that the site will even be called at all (in fact, it might not even
>be called the whole week, if there's no traffic!)

It's EVENING.  The pathalias data is bidirectional only in that it
assumes a DEAD link exists in the opposite direction.  This will be
used for routing only as a last resort.  Don't make it any lower than
EVENING (say DEMAND+LOW), because then mail might be routed through
your machine when it could go a different way and not have to wait 10
hours or more (if it arrives in the morning)

Suggestion: Set up crontab so the system gets called once every day or
two (or more if phone costs are a major factor), to insure at-least
minimal connectivity in the reverse directory.  Remember though, that
the EVENING/DEMAND/etc. labels don't imply anything beyond that
minimal level of reverse service.

Jeff Siegal