[comp.mail.misc] Can I send mail to a BITNET site?

jc@cdx39.UUCP (01/21/87)

Can someone out there explain to me how I might get mail
from a machine with only UUCP hookups to another machine
that is known to be on BITNET?

If it helps, some of our immediate neighbors are ARPAnet
sites, and we could bounce things through them.

For that matter, is there a good reference to teach all
about BITNET to a newcomer?  I keep hearing things about
it, but so far nothing very factual, and I'm curious.

--
	John M Chambers			Phone: 617/364-2000x7304
Email: ...{adelie,bu-cs,harvax,inmet,mcsbos,mit-eddie,mot[bos]}!cdx39!{jc,news,root,usenet,uucp}

scott@utcs.UUCP (01/24/87)

In article <615@cdx39.UUCP> jc@cdx39.UUCP writes:
>Can someone out there explain to me how I might get mail
>from a machine with only UUCP hookups to another machine
>that is known to be on BITNET?

There is an official gateway at psuvax1. Try ...!psuvax1!site.bitnet!user

There is an arpa gateway at wiscvm.wisc.edu (although it leaves something to
be desired)   try: user%site.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu

>For that matter, is there a good reference to teach all
>about BITNET to a newcomer?  I keep hearing things about
>it, but so far nothing very factual, and I'm curious.

I really don't know if there is or not... Most of what I know I discovered by
trial and error (easier since I have bitnet access). There is a good article
in the October 1986 issue of the Communications of the ACM about most of the
major networks in the world including BITNET. If you do find a good reference
please let me know about it...

--
  "I'm not paranoid... the world IS out to get me!"

  ...{utai, utzoo, decvax, ihnp4, cbosgd, utcsri, mnetor}!utcs!scott
   scott%utcs.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net
     scott@utoronto.bitnet                    Scott J.M. Campbell

devine@vianet.UUCP (01/27/87)

In article <615@cdx39.UUCP>, jc@cdx39.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:

> For that matter, is there a good reference to teach all
> about BITNET to a newcomer?  I keep hearing things about
> it, but so far nothing very factual, and I'm curious.

  The 2 references that I've run across are:

1. John Quarterman's article in CACM from last fall (summer?).
   He describes the major nets and how to exchange mail between them.

2. IEEE Communications June 1986
   the article is titled "Research Computer Networks and their
   Interconnection".  Has an appendix showing how to send mail
   from one network to another.

  I don't know if the mailing gateways mentioned in either article are
still the same.

Bob Devine

kuo@skatter.UUCP (01/28/87)

In article <615@cdx39.UUCP>, jc@cdx39.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:
> Can someone out there explain to me how I might get mail
> from a machine with only UUCP hookups to another machine
> that is known to be on BITNET?

	It is easily done. You simply specify bitnet as through
	it is a domain name. Using my site as an example:

		mail sask!ihnp4!utorphys.BITNET!system

	My machine (skatter) talks only to sask so I have to
	first send my mail to it. Sask is connected to one
	of the backbone sites (ihnp4, also to alberta). And
	utorphys is a bitnet site, and I want to send mail to
	user system. It works but it is slow. Apparently the
	mail goes through a uucp-Bitnet gateway at Wisconsin
	and the routing takes up to 24 hours to get done.

> If it helps, some of our immediate neighbors are ARPAnet
> sites, and we could bounce things through them.

	Don't think you need to make use of APRAnets.

> For that matter, is there a good reference to teach all
> about BITNET to a newcomer?  I keep hearing things about
> it, but so far nothing very factual, and I'm curious.

	I know of NO reference on Bitnet meself. Maybe the
	system manager of each Bitnet site has some docs.
	but I have not seen them. Mostly I learn my stuff
	my hacking!

> --
> 	John M Chambers			Phone: 617/364-2000x7304

	Hope this will get you to the Bitnet site you want!

Peter Kuo                    Bitnet (VMS address)    : KUO@SASK
Accelerator Laboratory              (UUCP address)   : "skatter!kuo@sask.uucp"
(a.k.a. The Beam Warehouse)
Univ. of Saskatchewan          uucp (unix address)   : !ihnp4!sask!skatter!kuo
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan             (Bitnet address) : !ihnp4!sask.BITNET!kuo
CANADA  S7N 0W0
Tel. (306) 966-6059

[Disclaimer: all the standard stuff.]

scott@utcs.UUCP (01/31/87)

In article <274@skatter.UUCP> kuo@skatter.UUCP writes:
>In article <615@cdx39.UUCP>, jc@cdx39.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:
>> Can someone out there explain to me how I might get mail
>> from a machine with only UUCP hookups to another machine
>> that is known to be on BITNET?
>	It is easily done. You simply specify bitnet as through
>	it is a domain name. Using my site as an example:
>		mail sask!ihnp4!utorphys.BITNET!system

       that should be:
                mail sask!ihnp4!psuvax1!node.bitnet!user

the gateway from uucp to bitnet is at psuvax1

>	Don't think you need to make use of APRAnets.

You would be if you used the gateway at wiscvm (wiscvm.wisc.edu)
thats the arpa-bitnet gateway.
--

     scott%utoronto.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu

pal@murdu.OZ (Philip Leverton) (02/03/87)

In article <615@cdx39.UUCP> jc@cdx39.UUCP writes:

>For that matter, is there a good reference to teach all
>about BITNET to a newcomer?  I keep hearing things about
>it, but so far nothing very factual, and I'm curious.

A short discussion and description of BITNET can be found in the preprint
SLAC-PUB-3705, "Status of Networking for High Energy Physics in the United
States" by P.F. Kunz, dated June 1985. It was presented at the Conference on
Computing in High Energy Physics, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, June 25-28,
1985. Other subject heading are DECNET, Coloured Books, MFENET, and Future
US HEPNET.

Phil Leverton
--
Philip Leverton (Postgrad, Dept. of Physics, University of Melbourne)
ACSnet: pal@murdu 	CSNET: pal%murdu.oz@australia

kuo@skatter.UUCP (02/07/87)

In article <1987Jan31.133552.18662@utcs.uucp>, scott@utcs.UUCP writes:
> In article <274@skatter.UUCP> kuo@skatter.UUCP writes:
> >In article <615@cdx39.UUCP>, jc@cdx39.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:
>
> the gateway from uucp to bitnet is at psuvax1
>
> >	Don't think you need to make use of APRAnets.
>
> You would be if you used the gateway at wiscvm (wiscvm.wisc.edu)
> thats the arpa-bitnet gateway.

You may be right, but I have used my path (ie without specifying the
psuvax1 gateway) and it works! I guess the system is smart enough to
figure which gateway it should use (8-)).

... Peter/

uucp: {ihnp4, alberta}!sask!skatter!kuo