-----

From: Richard Nishimura <nish%csri.toronto.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>

      I can't name you a contact person but I know what network you want.  Its
called HEPNET (High Energy Physics), and I believe it is brand new (too new to
be in many publications).  Most high energy physics research sites in North
America are, or will be, on it.

     Till January I corresponded with someone on HEPNET but that person has
since moved.  Unfortunately I haven't heard from him so I can't ask him more
about the net.  However, I can give you his old address.  You can try contact
someone at that hepnet node.  The vax at the address is running vms.  I'll
give you the bitnet address too (it may help).

Anyway, the hepnet address was: <user>%analys%msuhep.hepnet@LBL.ARPA
The bitnet address for the site was: <user>@msunscl.bitnet

-----

From: brian@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (Brian Kantor)

I believe the HEPnet is another DECNet between people doing high-energy
physics work; people like LLL and LANL are likely to be on it.  I've
heard of it before but I don't have any other details.  (Come to think
of it, one of the VMS systems on campus might be attached, but I don't
know which one it would be.  If you don't find any more info, let me
know and I'll dig deeper.)

-----

From: grandi@noao.ARPA (Steve Grandi)
Subject: Re: Want info on High Energy Physics network

The High Energy Physics Network is a DECnet of VAXes and such at various
Physics labs (Fermilab, SLAC, etc.)  It is interconnected and shares a
"name-space" (if you can call the atrocity of DECnet areas a space) with
SPAN, so nodes on SPAN and HEPnet can talk.  Most of the HEPnet nodes are
in areas 41, 42 and 43.