[comp.mail.misc] usenet<->decnet revisited

authorplaceholder@gorgo.UUCP.UUCP (02/16/87)

Some time ago, I posted a request for help on how to get mail into decnet.
I received three responses (all different, interestingly enuf). I've tried
all three, but mail neither arrives at the intended site, nor is returned
to me.

Would anybody care to comment?

tnx,

David Drexler
ddrex@gorgo.ATT.COM

avolio@decuac.UUCP (02/19/87)

In article <57300001@gorgo.UUCP>, ddrex@gorgo.UUCP writes:

> Some time ago, I posted a request for help on how to get mail into decnet.
> I received three responses (all different, interestingly enuf). I've tried
> all three, but mail neither arrives at the intended site, nor is returned
> to me.

I'd love to comment, David.  "Some time ago" is virtually an eternity
to folks who get a phone call every two to five minutes and 50 mail
message a day.  Perhaps you can fill us in on what was the problem?
What was suggested?  What didn't work about the suggestions?

There are numerous ways to "get mail into decnet."  You can do it via
TCP/IP mail and an ethernet or some other tcp/ip connection.  TWG
sells a TCP/IP that works on VMS.  DECnet is supported directly under
Ultrix and VMS.  You can -- as announced at UniForum -- use a TCP/IP -
Internet gateway that DEC sells to run on Ultrix.  You can run some
sort of UVCP on top of VMS and gateway that mail to decnet.  I believe
such a thing exists under Eunice.  There are probably others.  The
possibilities are not endless, but quite large.  A number of companies
are gatewaying mail from non-DECnet to DECnet:  GE, DEC, TI to name  few.

Now on the off chance that we are really speaking different languages
here (and that is possible as I suspect you mean your subject to be
"uucp <--> decnet) and you really mean "How do I get mail into DEC's
internal network" you have, in that case, mistaken a product for a
network designator.  In general, from the Internet, just send mail to
user@host.dec.com.  Same from sites on the UUCP-net running smail and
the like.  Or from a UUCP site send mail to
{decwrl,decuac}!host.dec.com!user.  For that matter, from an AT&T
site, send mail to cbosgd!node.dec.com!user.

If this is not working send me examples of errors returned, etc.

/Fred/