[comp.mail.misc] Sending mail from bitnet <---> usenet

mohan@ihlpf.UUCP (02/28/87)

	Re.: Sending mail from bitnet <----> usenet

	Does anyone know if a user on a bitnet site can send
	mail to someone on a usenet site?

	Thanks in advance.
	Mohan Palat
	ihnp4!ihlpf!mohan

scott@utgpu.UUCP (03/01/87)

In article <1169@ihlpf.ATT.COM> mohan@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Mohan Palat) writes:
>	Re.: Sending mail from bitnet <----> usenet
>
>	Does anyone know if a user on a bitnet site can send
>	mail to someone on a usenet site?

To send mail from bitnet to uucp (usenet) requires special software in many
cases. (A large number of bitnet sites can only talk to other bitnet sites
unless special gateway software is used... I love IBM :-)

If there is someone in particular who cant get mail thru to you, get them
to send me a note (scott@utoronto.bitnet) and I might be able to help them
out.

What is basically required is to send mail thru the gateway at psuvax1 which
will transfer their mail to uucp.

scott

--
  "I'm not paranoid... the world IS out to get me!"

  ...{utai, utzoo, decvax, ihnp4, cbosgd, utcsri, mnetor}!utgpu!scott
    scott@utoronto.bitnet                       Scott J.M. Campbell
     scott%utoronto.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu

cwruacm@cwruecmp.UUCP (03/02/87)

In article <1169@ihlpf.ATT.COM> mohan@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Mohan Palat) writes:

>	Does anyone know if a user on a bitnet site can send
>	mail to someone on a usenet site?
>
>	Mohan Palat

psuvax1 (located at Penn State University) is the BITnet <--> UUCP
gateway.

BITnet --> UUCP      user%host.UUCP@psuvax1           (I'm pretty sure)

UUCP --> BITnet	     host1!host2!intermediate!hosts!psuvax1!host.bitnet!user

A good article to use for reference is "Notable Computer Networks" by John
Quarterman, in Communications of the ACM, sometime last fall (sorry, I don't
have it with me at this particular moment).

Chet Ramey

ARPANET:  cwruacm%case@relay.cs.net
	  ramey%cwru-20%case@relay.cs.net
CSNET:    cwruacm@case  or  ramey%cwru-20@case
UUCP:     {...}!decvax!cwruecmp!cwruacm
	  {...}!decvax!cwruecmp!ramey@cwru-20     (depending on your software)
BITNET:   ramey%cwru20@cu20b

	"But we decide which is right
	 and which is an illusion..."
				The Moody Blues

marv@vsedev.UUCP (03/02/87)

In article <1169@ihlpf.ATT.COM> mohan@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Mohan Palat) writes:
>	Does anyone know if a user on a bitnet site can send
>	mail to someone on a usenet site?

     From BITNET, the address to use is:    user@node.UUCP

The syntax from MOST VM/CMS BITNET nodes is:

     mail marv@vsedev.UUCP (mixed
     (obviously, this is to send mail to me)

case sensitivity is important!

                                   -marvin

dan@leadsv.UUCP (03/02/87)

In article <1902@cwruecmp.UUCP>, cwruacm@cwruecmp.UUCP (Kronen Insultants) writes:
> In article <1169@ihlpf.ATT.COM> mohan@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Mohan Palat) writes:
				.
	[stuff dealing with going between BITNET and UUCP]
				.

> A good article to use for reference is "Notable Computer Networks" by John
> Quarterman, in Communications of the ACM, sometime last fall (sorry, I don't
> have it with me at this particular moment).

The specific issue was Volume 29, Number 10, October 1986.

Dan Gold
Lockheed Missiles & Space Company, Inc.

UUCP: ...!{atlas1, cae780, cfcl, endotsew, esl,
          excelan, hhb, hoptoad, krent, lll-lcc,
          mycroft, rtgvax, scampi, sunncal, tdms2}!leadsv!dan

INTERNET: ucdavis!lll-lcc!leadsv!dan@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

reggers@julian.UUCP (03/02/87)

In article <1987Mar1.124539.8076@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> scott@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Scott Campbell) writes:
>In article <1169@ihlpf.ATT.COM> mohan@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Mohan Palat) writes:
>>	Re.: Sending mail from bitnet <----> usenet
>>
>>	Does anyone know if a user on a bitnet site can send
>>	mail to someone on a usenet site?
>
>To send mail from bitnet to uucp (usenet) requires special software in many
>cases. (A large number of bitnet sites can only talk to other bitnet sites
>unless special gateway software is used... I love IBM :-)

Bitnet users should check at the BITNIC for a information on UUCP gateways,
there are lots of them. Some sites are using us (UWOCC1) as a UUCP gateway
because we support the pathalias maps ... user@host.UUCP is nicer than
specifying a route.
Title:		Postmaster (E-mail) University of Western Ontario
Telephone:	(519) 661 2151 x6026
Postal:		Computing and Communications Services
		Natural Sciences Centre
		University of Western Ontario
		London, Ontario N6A 5B7
		Canada