[comp.mail.misc] how to get to *.ac.uk ?

matt@oddjob.UUCP (03/14/87)

My sendmail/named combination can find out who the name servers
are for .ac.uk but cannot reach them, nor obtain any MX records.
How should I route mail to, for example, vax2.oxford.ac.uk?
Matt	     University		matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu
Crawford     of Chicago     {astrovax,ihnp4}!oddjob!matt

pc@ukc.ac.uk (R.P.A.Collinson) (03/15/87)

In article <3702@oddjob.UChicago.EDU> matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt
Crawford) writes:
>My sendmail/named combination can find out who the name servers
>are for .ac.uk but cannot reach them, nor obtain any MX records.
>How should I route mail to, for example, vax2.oxford.ac.uk?

Please do NOT ROUTE mail for vax2.oxford.ac.uk via ukc. The current
situation is that UUCP users in the UK pay for incoming mail from the
USA. Some people are happy to do this and some are not. The management
at vax[123].oxford very certainly are NOT. Their users originate mail
through the ARPA gateway at cs.ucl.ac.uk or the EARN gateway at the
Rutherford labs (I am not sure how external people address this) -
you should route mail back through these gateways.

We are happy to carry mail to all the sites mentioned in the UK UUCP
maps - u.gbr.[12] (currently nearly 200 machines) since we can recover
our transmission and reception costs from them. We are not happy to
carry mail to sites which have not registered with us and do not
appear in the UK maps.

The traffic for such unregistered sites is growing and mail from the
USA addressed to unregistered sites will soon be diverted to /dev/null
since I refuse to pay twice for the mail. (Once from the USA to here
and once back - with a bounce message).

This seems hard, but underlines the fact that mail is NOT free -
someone always pays. In the UK, it is the users.  If some nice USA
funding authority is prepared to pay me my costs to ship mail from the
USA into the UK then things might change.