[comp.mail.misc] sendmail configuration, decnet

buckley@halleys.UUCP (03/21/87)

I am trying to set up a sendmail configuration that will forward mail to
a decnet host.  A portion of the sendmail.cf is at the end of this
message.  Currently this config allows mailing to a decnet host using
two formats   decnet::user and user@decnet.DNET.  Would like to have
mail of the form  user@node be converted to node::user and use mail-11.

This sendmail.cf allows mail of the form node!user to be forwarded over
SMTP as usr@mail.  I believe this is handled by comparing the to node to
a list of smtp hosts(macro DS?).  There appears to be a similar setup
for decnet nodes(macro DZ?) and in rule 5 I added what I thought was a
line to determine that transport was handled by decnet.

This is my first endeavor into sendmail, other than adding new nodes to
our internal network.  I would appreciate email explaining what I am
missing.  Also looking for information on how to decipher the rules in
sendmail.cf files.  If anyone could forward a good description of these
innards, I would appreciate.

I will certainly summarize the responses I receive and when the problem
is resolved, will post the solution to the net.

# known DECnet sites
DZvaxa

###########################
###   Rewriting rules   ###
###########################

###########################
#  Mailer Resolution      #
###########################

S0

#Mail-11 mailer
R$*@$-.DNET		$#Dmail$@$2$:$1

S3
# Mail-11 Normalization
R$+::$+			$2@$1.DNET

R$=Z!$+			$@$2@$1.DNET

#################################
#  Final Output Post-rewriting  #
#################################
S4

R$+@$-.DNET$*		$1%$2$3

###################
# local ad-hoc    #
###################
S5

R$*@$=Z			$@$1@$2.DNET
R$*@$=Z.UUCP		$@$1@$2.DNET

###################
#  Local Mailers  #
###################

S10
R@			MAILER-DAEMON 		errors to mailer-daemon
#Convert Decnet addresses to expected format
R$-@$-.DNET		$2::$1

S20
R$-@$-.DNET		$2::$1

S11

S21

##################
# Mail-11        #
# (DECNET)       #
##################

MDmail, P=/usr/bin/mail11, F=mnsF, S=17, R=27, A=mail11 $f $x $h $u

#DECNET mailers must have this strange stuff.
#Take away pseudo-domain.

S17
R$-@$-.DNET		$1::$2
R$-@$-.IPNET		$Z::$1@$2
R$-@$-.$+		$Z::$1@$2.$3

S27
R$-@$-.DNET		$1::$2

S12

# RFC 822 don't like :: !
R$-::$-			$2@$1.DNET

S24

thats it.
Martin Buckley
buckley@m2c.org  			(CSNET, internet with MX support)
buckley%m2c.org@relay.cs.net   				(Internet)
{harvard,bu-cs,ulowell,frog,applix,umvlsi}!halleys!buckley	(UUCP)

john@xanth.UUCP (03/24/87)

In article <136@halleys.UUCP>, buckley@halleys.UUCP (0312) writes:
> [I] Would like to have
> mail of the form  user@node be converted to node::user and use mail-11.

> This sendmail.cf allows mail of the form node!user to be forwarded over
> SMTP as usr@mail.  I believe this is handled by comparing the to node to
> a list of smtp hosts(macro DS?).  There appears to be a similar setup
> for decnet nodes(macro DZ?) and in rule 5 I added what I thought was a
> line to determine that transport was handled by decnet.

> # known DECnet sites
> DZvaxa
> S3
> # Mail-11 Normalization
> R$+::$+			$2@$1.DNET
> R$=Z!$+			$@$2@$1.DNET
> ###################
> S5
> R$*@$=Z			$@$1@$2.DNET
> R$*@$=Z.UUCP		$@$1@$2.DNET

What you are doing is essentially correct, but $=Z tries to match any
of the strings in _class_ Z; $Z would try to match the _macro_ Z.  To
define a class, instead of a macro, you can either say

# known DECnet sites
CZvaxa vaxb vaxmate25

or

# read known DECnet sites from a file, one per line
FZ/usr/lib/mail/decnet.sites

or even:
# read known DECnet sites from a file containing lots of information,
# with the DECnet site name in the second colon-separated field (scanf)
FZ/usr/lib/mail/decnet.database %*[^:]:%[^:]

	Good luck!

--
John Owens		Old Dominion University - Norfolk, Virginia, USA
john@ODU.EDU		old arpa: john%odu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET