[comp.mail.misc] VMS email connectivity

tp@ndmce.UUCP (03/31/87)

Is there a relatively inexpensive way for a VAX/VMS system to exchange
electronic mail with the rest of the world (uucp, arpa, csnet, bitnet,
etc)?  I have heard that both CSNET and BITNET require sizeable membership
fees.  What I am looking for is something akin to uucp under UNIX, which
allows one to join the world wide email network for only the cost of the
phone bills to another site.  The only solution I am aware of, is that at
some point there will be a VMS port of uuslave, which will allow VMS Vaxen
to join the nets.  Is there any other alternative?  Can a VMS site connect
to a csnet or bitnet site without joining those nets?

Thanks
--
Terry Poot, Nathan D. Maier Consulting Engineers, (214)739-4741
8800 N. Central Expressway, Suite 300, Dallas, Tx 75231, USA

reggers@julian.UUCP (04/01/87)

In article <1185@ndmce.uucp> tp@ndmce.UUCP (Terry Poot) writes:

>Is there a relatively inexpensive way for a VAX/VMS system to exchange
>electronic mail with the rest of the world (uucp, arpa, csnet, bitnet,
>etc)? ...

This is not an advertisement, but.... MLNET is a system for Unix machines
that's a lot like uucico except that the protocol used for transferring
files is good old kermit and the dialogue, apart from kermit phases, is
controlled by scripts. We use this system to move mail into/outof several
VAX/VMS machines using a mail relay user account MLNET. VMS users mail
to MLNET!user@domain (so that it goes to his mail.box where it's easy
to pick up and determine who it's for). VMS users receive mail that says
it's From: MLNET!user@domain (this required a simple "forgery" program
that runs with priviledges). If you have a Unix machine (even Xenix will
do) then you can talk to VMS (and even more, we use MLNET and not UREP
to get to VM!)

MLNET might be a solution.
--
CDN:		{postmaster/reggers}@uwo.CDN
BITNET:		{postmaster/reggers}@uwovax.BITNET

authorplaceholder@gorgo.UUCP.UUCP (04/03/87)

/* Written  2:39 pm  Mar 31, 1987 by tp@ndmce.UUCP in gorgo.UUCP:comp.mail.misc */
/* ---------- "VMS email connectivity" ---------- */

[...]

/* End of text from gorgo.UUCP:comp.mail.misc */

Yeah! Yeah! Me too!

I know there's a way, because I can (supposedly) send mail to a VAX/VMS system
at the University of Oklahoma through 'uokmax'. So, how about one of you ECN
gurus elightening the rest of us? The outfit I work for would like to be able
to tie their VMS system into Usenet; surely, there's a way (without running
UN*X)....

David Drexler
ddrex@gorgo.uucp  aka  ihnp4!occrsh!gorgo!ddrex

fair@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (04/04/87)

The "Eunice" UNIX emulation package, available for money from The
Wollongong Group in Palo Alto, California, can be made to speak UUCP,
and the standard distribution of netnews (now B news 2.11, patch 6)
will run under Eunice.

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu

authorplaceholder@gorgo.UUCP.UUCP (04/06/87)

  PMDF is a popular package in distributed by for VMS machines. It talks
phonenet protocol to UNIX machines running MMDF. It can be obtained for
a distribution fee from Ned Freed of Harvey Mudd College. It also features
gateways to various SMTP mail implementations and to BSMTP bitnet mail. It
also integrates well with the existing VMS mail user agent program via the
MAILSHR feature of VMS V4.x. It is well written in VAX Pascal.

  Steve Blasingame (Oklahoma City)
  bsteve@gorgo.att.com