[comp.mail.misc] April Fools and strange mail msgs

This is drifting away from news.groups and more towards mail issues, in
recognition of which I have changed the Subject: line, cross-posted,
and added a Followup-To: line.

Hmmm.  I rather like that message-ID.

In article <703@colossus.tc.fluke.COM>, moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
> Why, here at Fluke, it is a tradition that many lucky Unix users
> receive letters every April 1st from "Uncle Gorby" at Kremvax.  Below
> is a brief example...

> From mikhail@kremvax Wed Apr  1 09:16:29 1987
> Date: Wed, 1 Apr 87 09:12:37 pst
> From: mikhail@kremvax
> To: [lots of Flukies]
> Subject:  Happy First of April from Uncle Gorby!
> [etc]

Reminds me of a letter that a few choice people received here
about...uh...25 days back (news is slow getting here, and I was away
for a week: that's why it's taken so long for me to post this).

Here, [username] is the username of the target, [host] is their home
machine, and [real-name] is their real name.  Note that at least one
additional Received: header will normally be added by the target
machine.

# Date: Sun, 32 Mar 2001 35:22:19 GCT
# From: Darth Vader <DarthVader@DeathStar.ImperialNavy.EvilGalacticEmpire.GOV>
# To: [real-name] <[username]@[host]>
# Subject: Obedience, obesiance, and lack thereof
#
# It has come to my attention that you have been neglecting your daily
# obesiance to me, as your lord and master.  See that this situation is
# corrected.

(So I bent the RFCs a little, so sue me.)

					der Mouse

				(mouse@mcgill-vision.uucp)

kurt@hi.UUCP (Kurt Zeilenga) (05/03/87)

In article <703@colossus.tc.fluke.COM>, moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
> Why, here at Fluke, it is a tradition that many lucky Unix users
> receive letters every April 1st from "Uncle Gorby" at Kremvax.  Below
> is a brief example...

I once got a mail note from /dev/null.  I was quite surprised to
bits apparently coming out of the bucket.

--
	Kurt Zeilenga	 (zeilenga@hc.dspo.gov)

	"So long, Mom,  I'm off to drop the bomb..."