[comp.mail.misc] Dial-up TCP/IP

merlin@hqda-ai.UUCP (David S. Hayes) (05/10/87)

In article <16608@amdcad.AMD.COM>, bandy@amdcad.AMD.COM (Andy Beals) writes:

> I don't know about you, but the last time I dialed-up a
> computer, I got line-noise.  Interactive smtp is nice but you
> need to have an error-free datastream between them.  So, anyone
> for writing a point-to-point dialup tcp/ip?

     This discussion seems headed to the general possibility of
doing TCP/IP over a dialup phone line, so I'm moving it to
comp.protocols.tcp.

     Ideally, we'd like to be able to write a daemon that can
listen for non-local IP requests, check against a list of dial-up
machines and their addresses, dial the phone, and then act as a
pass-through.  All this should be done without any kernel
modifications.

     I don't know if this can be done with current 4.x BSD
kernels.  Used to be that all BSD sites had source, but with the
rise of the workstation vendors, that's not true anymore.

     Perhaps raw sockets would provide a means to do this, but
it's been quite a while since I did anything with raw sockets.
Anyone else have any ideas?
--
David S. Hayes, The Merlin of Avalon	PhoneNet:  (202) 694-6900
UUCP:  *!seismo!sundc!hqda-ai!merlin	ARPA:  merlin%hqda-ai.uucp@brl.arpa