[comp.mail.misc] how to find path to cernvax

mellman@ttrdd.UUCP (05/27/87)

Can someone help me find a unix mail path to cernvax in Geneva,
Switzerland?  It used to be that it went through mcvax, which I
think is in the Netherlands.  But I think that link to Europe has
become unsupported.  Any word would be appreciated.
Thomas Mellman.

Incidently, I wasn't sure which was the proper group for this request.

hirai@swatsun.UUCP (05/28/87)

In article <175@ttrdd.UUCP>, mellman@ttrdd.UUCP (Thomas Mellman) writes:
> Can someone help me find a unix mail path to cernvax in Geneva,
> Switzerland?  It used to be that it went through mcvax, which I
> think is in the Netherlands.  But I think that link to Europe has
> become unsupported.  Any word would be appreciated.

	I can't believe that USA->mcvax link has become unsupported.  At
least seismo!mcvax should work alright, and if not, bellcore!mcvax (this
is much slower).  There are also connections to cernvax that avoid mcvax and
the routes possible routes are:
	seismo!{unido, enea}!mcvax
(unido is in Germany, enea is in Sweden)
However, I say again that it seems very unlikely that seismo!mcvax is not
working, since it's a pretty big connection.
--
Eiji ("A.G.") Hirai                               |:: :  :   :    :   :  : : ::
USMail: Swarthmore College, Swarthmore PA 19081   |:: :  :   :70mm:   :  : : ::

hmm@laura.UUCP (05/28/87)

Mcvax is alive and well supported, so in this respect you're totally off.
Maybe you though about the decvax-mcvax link, which is indeed not supported
anymore.  Instead, mcvax has a link to seismo.  Quite some other european
backbone nodes have direct links to seismo, too, but cernvax isn't one of
these.  According to our pathalias data, the correct path looks like:
ttrdc!ihnp4!moss!rutgers!seismo!mcvax!cernvax.

	Hans-Martin

henkp@nikhefk.UUCP (Henk Peek) (05/29/87)

In article <35@laura.irb.informatik> hmm@unido.UUCP (Hans-Martin Mosner) writes:
->Mcvax is alive and well supported, so in this respect you're totally off.
->Maybe you though about the decvax-mcvax link, which is indeed not supported
->anymore.  Instead, mcvax has a link to seismo.  Quite some other european
->backbone nodes have direct links to seismo, too, but cernvax isn't one of
->these.  According to our pathalias data, the correct path looks like:
->ttrdc!ihnp4!moss!rutgers!seismo!mcvax!cernvax.

From about 22 to 26 may some mail is lost on the mcvax. There was
a message from piet@mcvax on eunet. This is the first time that
I have lost mail on the mcvax. The connection mcvax cernvax is
very good and fast.

henk peek  henkp@nikhefk  ..!seismo!macvax!nikhefk!henkp.UUCP

hirai@swatsun (Eiji "A.G." Hirai) (05/29/87)

In article <1150@byzantium.swatsun.UUCP>, hirai@swatsun (Eiji "A.G." Hirai) writes:
> is much slower).  There are also connections to cernvax that avoid mcvax and
> the routes possible routes are:
> 	seismo!{unido, enea}!mcvax
> (unido is in Germany, enea is in Sweden)

	Sorry about the above path.  The correct path is:
seismo!{unido, enea}!cernvax.
				-A.G. Hirai

--
Eiji ("A.G.") Hirai                               |:: :  :   :    :   :  : : ::
USMail: Swarthmore College, Swarthmore PA 19081   |:: :  :   :70mm:   :  : : ::
phone: for the summer it's (215)544-5349          |:: :  :   :    :   :  : : ::
UUCP: {seismo, ihnp4}!bpa!swatsun!hirai    ARPA: swatsun!hirai@bpa.bell-atdC`JQ`

rick@seismo.UUCP (05/30/87)

The seismo-mcvax link is a 9600 bps leased line running tcp/ip.

It is certainly supported and gets a lot of use. E.g.
for the past few days:

	 Files		    Byte      Throughput
	Sent/Rec	  Sent/Rec	in bps
mcvax	1533/676	3572874/875362	 6802
mcvax	1330/350	3904781/396584	 7537
mcvax	1866/1150	3395895/1753886	 6990
mcvax	1106/366	2508623/384154	 8581

By the way, this is only MAIL. News is sent via nntp and doesn't show
up in this list.

With a volume like this, it soon becomes real obvious when the link
is down.

---rick

p.s. If you want to get picky, the link is "officially" unsupported. However,
so is 4.3bsd, the news software you are running, etc.