[comp.mail.misc] Bitnet host list query

dubois@rhesus.UUCP (06/12/87)

Is there some list of valid Bitnet node names available somewhere?
How does one get it?  This would be something similar to the Arpa
host table /etc/hosts available on many Unix systems.  I've heard
of something called Bitnic.  I presume that Bitnic is a network
information center which is to Bitnet what sri-nic is to Arpa.  Is
that correct?

---
Paul DuBois     UUCP: {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois    |
                ARPA: dubois@unix.macc.wisc.edu                   --+--
                      dubois@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu                |

"My help does not come from the hills"
                      Psalm 121:1

marv@vsedev.VSE.COM (Marvin Raab) (06/16/87)

In article <222@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu> dubois@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu (Paul DuBois) writes:
>Is there some list of valid Bitnet node names available somewhere?
>How does one get it?  This would be something similar to the Arpa
>host table /etc/hosts available on many Unix systems.  I've heard
>of something called Bitnic.  I presume that Bitnic is a network
>information center which is to Bitnet what sri-nic is to Arpa.  Is
>that correct?

   BITNIC is the NIC for BITNET and is located in New York City at
the City Univ of NY University Computer Center. From any BITNET site,
send a message (not a mail file!) to NICSERVE@BITNIC saying:

    SENDME NODES1 INFO
    SENDME NODES2 INFO
    SENDME BITNET TOPOLOGY
    SENDME INDEX

   Enjoy!

             -marvin

--
Marvin Raab                                      Arlington, VA 22202
   ...!seismo!vsedev!marv                        703-521-5449 (h)