[comp.mail.misc] X.400 Mail Package

dml@rabbit1.UUCP (David Langdon) (05/22/87)

We are looking for a public domain version of an X.400 Mail package for
either UNIX or DOS. If none exists, we are still interested in commercially
available implementations. In particular, we are interested in interfacing this
with a SNA PU2.1 gateway and DIA/DISSOS application. If PD or commercial
versions are known to you, please email information to me (unless you think
this information is interesting enough to be posted to the NET in general).

Thanx for your help.
--
David Langdon    Rabbit Software Corp.
(215) 647-0440   7 Great Valley Parkway East  Malvern PA 19355

...!ihnp4!{cbmvax,cuuxb}!hutch!dml        ...!psuvax1!burdvax!hutch!dml

mac@idacrd.UUCP (05/26/87)

in article <289@rabbit1.UUCP>, dml@rabbit1.UUCP (David Langdon) says:

> We are looking for a public domain version of an X.400 Mail package for
> either UNIX or DOS. If none exists, we are still interested in commercially
> available implementations. In particular, we are interested in interfacing this
> David Langdon    Rabbit Software Corp.
> (215) 647-0440   7 Great Valley Parkway East  Malvern PA 19355

There was a recent description of an implementation in an interview in
UNIX Review.  As with all things designed by committee this bohemoth was
1.5 Megawords and the supporter of X.400 that was being interviewed
called it "the ADA of mailing systems".

Bob

dennis@rlgvax.UUCP (06/09/87)

In article <220@idacrd.UUCP>, mac@idacrd.UUCP (Bob McGwier) writes:
> 	As with all things designed by committee this bohemoth was
> 1.5 Megawords and the supporter of X.400 that was being interviewed
> called it "the ADA of mailing systems".
>
> Bob

Recently I was tasked to write-up an internal memo that compared
X.400 to our electronic mail system that we sell as part of our
OA package (OfficePower).  Well, the X.400 series (8 of 'em) standards
are *very* difficult to read casually.  When are those standards
writers going to start writing documentation that is isn't so abstract,
terse, and hard to understand?

Maybe we need a standard for writing standards? :-)

-dennis bednar

--
FullName:	Dennis Bednar
UUCP:		{seismo|sundc}!rlgvax!dennis

dmt@mtunb.UUCP (06/10/87)

In article <493@rlgvax.UUCP> dennis@rlgvax.UUCP (Dennis.Bednar) writes:
>Recently I was tasked to write-up an internal memo that compared
>X.400 to our electronic mail system that we sell as part of our
>OA package (OfficePower).  Well, the X.400 series (8 of 'em) standards
>are *very* difficult to read casually.  When are those standards
>writers going to start writing documentation that is isn't so abstract,
>terse, and hard to understand?

	Probably never;  I'll even defend that's as it should be.
	The purpose of the standard is unambiguous precision.  Bad
	standards are bad not because their statement is abstract or
	difficult to read, but because their content is wrong or
	ambiguous.  It seems to be a fact of life (or at least of the
	state of the art in languages) that precision REQUIRES terse
	abstract notation.

	What there REALLY ought to be is a tutorial, readable statement
	of what the standard says.  This tutorial should NOT be confused
	with the standard itself; where there is a discrepancy, the
	[unreadable] standard rules.

	Since standards committees seldom publish such documents, the
	book industry may be missing a profitable market here.

>Maybe we need a standard for writing standards? :-)

	If it's a good standard, you'll have trouble reading it, too.
	:-)

|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T  -  Lincroft, NJ				|
|    Logical -  ...ihnp4!mtuxo!mtunb!dmt			|
|    Audible -  (201) 576 2442					|

howard@cos.UUCP (06/12/87)

In article <493@rlgvax.UUCP>, dennis@rlgvax.UUCP (Dennis.Bednar) writes:

> Recently I was tasked to write-up an internal memo that compared
> X.400 to our electronic mail system that we sell as part of our
> OA package (OfficePower).  Well, the X.400 series (8 of 'em) standards
> are *very* difficult to read casually.  When are those standards
> writers going to start writing documentation that is isn't so abstract,
> terse, and hard to understand?

Unfortunately for a newcomer to standards, there are underlying agendas
for them which tend to make them hard to read.  Standards are to some
extent political and anticipatory, and do not necessarily intend to be
directly implementable.

The X.400 standards are hard even for experts to read.  It is important
to realize, however, that there is an intermediate stage between standards
and products (at least in OSI):  the implementation agreements document,
and the functional profile defined for a specific environment.

Most implementation agreements are developed by the OSI Implementors'
Workshop sponsored by the National Bureau of Standards; specific options
to be used, even beyond the NBS agreements, are in profiles such as
the Corporation for Open Systems (COS) protocol stack for X.400 or
the European SPAG functional profile.

There are good tutorial introductions to X.400, such as that of Omnicom.
They cost a few hundred dollars and are worth it.

Incidentally, X.400 does not replace electronic mail systems, in that
it provides an intelligent messaging capability among multiple nodes
but does not prescribe the user interface.  Your task probably should
be to look at X.400 as an _enhancement_ to your own products.

Howard
howard@cos.com  [via hadron, seismo->hadron, usda-ai, sundc]
(703) 883-2812

dave@lsuc.UUCP (06/17/87)

In article <959@mtunb.ATT.COM> dmt@mtunb.UUCP (Dave Tutelman) writes:
>>		 When are those standards
>>writers going to start writing documentation that is isn't so abstract,
>>terse, and hard to understand?
>
>	Probably never;  I'll even defend that's as it should be.
>	The purpose of the standard is unambiguous precision.

Dave is correct on this.  A standard in the computer industry,
once accepted, plays the same role as legislation in society.
Much legislation is difficult to read by non-lawyers, a fact which
causes some to criticize it.  But it's the same issue.

I don't expect non-lawyers to be able to read the Canadian
Income Tax Act, although millions of people are affected by it.
Nor to I expect the computer world at large, outside of the
people who implement {compilers, X.400 systems, whatever} to
understand such systems from their standards documents.

>	What there REALLY ought to be is a tutorial, readable statement
>	of what the standard says.  This tutorial should NOT be confused
>	with the standard itself; where there is a discrepancy, the
>	[unreadable] standard rules.

Absolutely.  In the case of complex legislation such as
amendments to the Income Tax Act, our Department of Finance
publishes an explanation of the amendments in readable English.
And, of course, for many areas of the law that affect the public
at large there are publications available that explain, in
understandable terms, most of what the law says.

David Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Toronto
--
{ seismo!mnetor  cbosgd!utgpu  watmath  decvax!utcsri  ihnp4!utzoo } !lsuc!dave

daveb@geac.UUCP (Dave Brown) (06/18/87)

In article <1875@lsuc.UUCP> dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) writes:
>I don't expect non-lawyers to be able to read the Canadian
>Income Tax Act, although millions of people are affected by it.
>
>....  In the case of complex legislation such as
>amendments to the Income Tax Act, our Department of Finance
>publishes an explanation of the amendments in readable English.

    Another necessary (but not sufficent) technique comes from the world
of the law, too:  Preambles.
    If one is drafting a very-high-level document (ie, one which may be
vague or overgeneral) you start with a description of what one means to
achieve.  Not how the law is supposed to work, but what its supposed to do.
Makes it easier to understand right from the beginning, and isn't binding
on anyone so that it doen't have to be written in standard-/legal-ese.

 --dave () brown

sid@rtech.UUCP (06/19/87)

In article <1875@lsuc.UUCP> dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) writes:
>In article <959@mtunb.ATT.COM> dmt@mtunb.UUCP (Dave Tutelman) writes:
>>>		 When are those standards
>>>writers going to start writing documentation that is isn't so abstract,
>>>terse, and hard to understand?
>>
>>	Probably never;  I'll even defend that's as it should be.
>>	The purpose of the standard is unambiguous precision.
>
>Dave is correct on this.  A standard in the computer industry,
>once accepted, plays the same role as legislation in society.
>Much legislation is difficult to read by non-lawyers, a fact which
>causes some to criticize it.  But it's the same issue.
>
>I don't expect non-lawyers to be able to read the Canadian
>Income Tax Act, although millions of people are affected by it.

(Since my question really brings up another subject, I have redirected
discussion to a more appropriate new group.)

Why is it too much to expect the "common" person to be able to
understand laws?  He must live under them.  Consider the idea that if
a law is too complex for him to understand than the law is too complex
period and should be simplified.  Just a random thought...
/ Sid /