[comp.mail.misc] E-mail address for Japan

kuo@skatter.UUCP (Dr. Peter Kuo) (05/23/87)

I am looking for an e-mail path to the Institute for Nuclear Science of the
University of Tokyo in Japan. I have looked through the (old?) maps I have
and could not find an entry. I have also looked into the database for Bitnet
and no luck either.

I would appreciate very much if someone knows of ANY e-mail address to the
Institute for Nuclear Science. Much thanks in advance!

... Peter/
Peter Kuo                   | Bitnet (VMS)  : KUO@SASK
Accelerator Laboratory      |
(a.k.a. The Beam Warehouse) | uucp   (Unix) : !alberta\
Univ. of Saskatchewan       |                 !ihnp4  -- !sask!skatter!kuo
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan     |                 !utcsri /
CANADA  S7N 0W0             |
(Earth)                     | Ma Bell       : (306) 966-6059

Disclaimer: I don't know what I am saying, so don't quote me on
	    anything! And I only speak for myself.

hirai@swatsun (Eiji "A.G." Hirai) (05/23/87)

In article <317@skatter.UUCP>, kuo@skatter.UUCP (Dr. Peter Kuo) writes:
> I am looking for an e-mail path to the Institute for Nuclear Science of the
> University of Tokyo in Japan. I have looked through the (old?) maps I have

	Well, one thing you can try is asking the postmaster at kddlab since
the're the big guys in Jun  The postmaster there is Masahiro Fujinaga,
at kddlab!uji.  Better yet, try askinthe postmaster at one of the Univ.
of Tokyo sites (I guess they are connected through Bitnet....

--
Eiji ("A.G.") Hirai                               | "Those who do not remember
USMail: Swarthmore College, Swarthmore PA 19081   |  the past are condemned to

hirai@swatsun (Eiji "A.G." Hirai) (05/23/87)

Sorry about the previous mangled article, but our campus network was freaking
out and giving me a lot of garbage.  The address of the postmaster is
kddlab!fuji.  I hope we get a more reliable campus network soon (have you
heard of Gandalf?)...
--

okuno@Shasta.UUCP (05/28/87)

In article <1141@byzantium.swatsun.UUCP> hirai@swatsun (Eiji "A.G." Hirai) writes:
>In article <317@skatter.UUCP>, kuo@skatter.UUCP (Dr. Peter Kuo) writes:
>> I am looking for an e-mail path to the Institute for Nuclear Science of the
>> University of Tokyo in Japan. I have looked through the (old?) maps I have
>
>	Well, one thing you can try is asking the postmaster at kddlab since
>the're the big guys in Junet.  The postmaster there is Masahiro Fujinaga,
>at kddlab!fuji.  Better yet, try ask him the postmaster at one of the Univ.
>of Tokyo sites (I guess they are connected through Bitnet....

This is not a good idea.

As far as I know, there is no host of the Institute for Nuclear
Science of the Univ. of Tokyo on JUNET (Japanese University NETwork).
However, many people of the Univ. of Tokyo has an account on
tansei.u-tokyo.junet.  Since an account name is cryptic like "a03083"
and alias is not serviced there, you had better write a postal letter
to those whom you want to correspond asking their E-mail address.

Since there is a serious financial problem in international networking
in Japan, JUNET is devided into several groups:

(1) University sites:
	The offical gateway is CSNET.  Any international
	INCOMING/outgoing messages are charged.

(2) InetClub member:
	Some universities and companies who pay the cost of internatioal
	INCOMING/outgoing messages.  The official gateway is kddlab,
	which has links to ihnp4, seismo, mcvax, hplabs and munnari.

(3) CSNET sites:
	ICOT (NTT will join it soon.)

    <user>%icot.jp@relay.cs.net

(4) Sites who own their own gateway:
	NEC with necntc, NTT with nttca, DEC and so on.

(5) Sites who own their own links:
	ICOT to inria, ukc, NTT to munnari

Please note that kddlab is the Japanese backbone node, but that it is
not a *general* Japanese international gateway.

Although JUNET is an inter-campus/industry network, most subdomains
(universities and companies) don't have a campus/industry network...
There is no gateway between JUNET and BITNET in Japan, either.

- Gitchang -
One of the founders and volunteers of JUNET.

Arpanet: okuno@sumex-aim.stanford.edu
UUCP:	 hplabs!Shasta!nttca!gitchang
JUNET:	 gitchang@nttca.ntt.junet

Lest we forget, people:  in general the fastest way to determine the
electronic address of a system is to call up the people there and ask them.
This is both quicker and more reliable than posting news about it.
--
"There is only one spacefaring        Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
nation on Earth today, comrade."   {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

kuo@skatter.UUCP (Dr. Peter Kuo) (06/07/87)

In article <8112@utzoo.UUCP>, henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
> Lest we forget, people:  in general the fastest way to determine the
> electronic address of a system is to call up the people there and ask them.
> This is both quicker and more reliable than posting news about it.

I agree... but what if you don't even know who to call and what the phone
number is?  (8-) And also don't forget, there is about a 12-hour time
difference. It is fun trying to miss each other!

Let me take this chance to thank everyone who responded to my question. We
finally made contact via a nearby Bitnet site; it turns out that some folks
at the Institute for Nuclear Science has accounts on the systems at the
National Laboratory for High Energy (KEK) which is on Bitnet.

... Peter/
Peter Kuo                   | Bitnet (VMS)  : KUO@SASK
Accelerator Laboratory      |
(a.k.a. The Beam Warehouse) | uucp   (Unix) : !alberta\
Univ. of Saskatchewan       |                 !ihnp4  -- !sask!skatter!kuo
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan     |                 !utcsri /
CANADA  S7N 0W0             |
(Earth)                     | Ma Bell       : (306) 966-6059

Disclaimer: I don't know what I am saying, so don't quote me on
	    anything! And I only speak for myself.

solejni@umbio.UUCP (06/23/87)

Calling people and asking is not neccessarily a good way either.  A lot of
people use systems without knowing more about them.  I am trying for
several weeks find a pathway to MCVAX or HASARA5, and untiul I read
messages here I was sending them all over the place to nowhere, folowing
the address given by the receipient.  Incidentally, if you know pathway to
HASARA5, I would appreciate this information.
Stan Olejniczak