[comp.mail.misc] UUCP to BITNET to UUCP mail?

grambo@COS.COM (Bill Graham) (06/19/87)

We are having lots of problems trying to send mail between us (on UUCP) and
a person on BITNET.

Our address is seismo!sundc!cos!grambo or grambo@cos.com.  The person that
we are trying to reach is hursl@uottawa.bitnet.

According to the UUCP maps, to reach hursl@uottawa.bitnet, we should use:
	sundc!seismo!harvard!talcott!uottawa.bitnet!hursl
(this is the address that smail uses when we give it hursl@uottawa.bitnet).
When we use this address, it either takes forever (4 days!) or never gets
there.

We have been unable to figure out what address he should use on his end to
reach us.

The only address that he has been able to use to get thru to us was:
	sundc!grambo%cos.com%psuvax1.css.gov%sun.com
This worked once and was the one that took 4 days.

According to the maps, psuvax1, talcott, and ucbvax are gateways to
.bitnet.

What are we doing wrong?  What should we be doing?  How should he
address his mail to get to us?

Thanks for any help that you can give us.

Please reply by mail.

Thanks,
	Bill Graham (seismo!sundc!cos!grambo or grambo@cos.com)
	Andrew Partan (seismo!sundc!cos!asp or asp@cos.com)

dboyes@uoregon.UUCP (David Boyes) (06/21/87)

In article <333@cos.COM> grambo@COS.COM (Bill Graham) writes:

>Our address is seismo!sundc!cos!grambo or grambo@cos.com.  The person that
>we are trying to reach is hursl@uottawa.bitnet.
>
>According to the UUCP maps, to reach hursl@uottawa.bitnet, we should use:
>	sundc!seismo!harvard!talcott!uottawa.bitnet!hursl

PSUVAX1 is the MOST reliable BITNET gateway, and is the defined gateway
from BITNET to UUCP (according to that pathetic joke of a NIC called
BITNIC..sigh).  Talcott is just an incidental -- PSUVAX1 supposedly
guarantees up to date maps, pathalias, etc. Using anything else is iffy.

>We have been unable to figure out what address he should use on his end to
>reach us.

If his site is running the Croswell MAILER and Rice MAIL (the most
common combination on VM BITNET sites, he should try this command:

	MAIL sundc!cos!grambo@SEISMO.CSS.GOV

(yes, folks, beleive it or not, seismo is directly on BITNET!) (so is
ihnp4!)

Ha can also try :

	MAIL sundc!cos.COM!grambo@SEISMO.UUCP ( MIXED

The second address is probably more reliable. However, if he doesn't
have MAILER avaialble, he's in for some REAL fun. Fortunately, my BITNET
routing tables show his node to be running MAILER, so you're in good
shape.

>The only address that he has been able to use to get thru to us was:
>	sundc!grambo%cos.com%psuvax1.css.gov%sun.com
>This worked once and was the one that took 4 days.

Bets that most of that delay was on the UUCP side. BITNET is pretty good
about getting files expedited around. Anytime you're dealing with UUCP
you can bet on >1 day delivery time, unless you're willing to call the
destination directly.

>According to the maps, psuvax1, talcott, and ucbvax are gateways to
>.bitnet.

As I said above, PSUVAX1 is the most reliable. All the BITNET RFC822
compliant mailers use PSUVAX1 as the gateway to UUCP, so it's probably
better not to argue with success.

--
David Boyes                   ARPA: 556%OREGON1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Systems Division              BITNET: 556@OREGON1

ip@ecf.UUCP (06/28/87)

In article <333@cos.COM> grambo@COS.COM (Bill Graham) writes:

>Our address is seismo!sundc!cos!grambo or grambo@cos.com.  The person that
>we are trying to reach is hursl@uottawa.bitnet.
>
>We have been unable to figure out what address he should use on his end to
>reach us.

I happened to have emailed myself some internet docs from UOTTOWA last time I
went back there (last summer), and I have received them all.
The command I used was simply (and let the MAILER do the rest) :
	MAIL IP@UTME.UUCP	 (their default gateway was PSUVAX1)

The doc from UOTTOWA (dated 02/07/85) said the following routes (via arpanet
gateways) can also be used to reach UUCP sites:
	path!...!USER@UCBVAX.ARPA
	USER%NODE.UUCP@HARVARD.ARPA
	USER%NODE.UUCP@SESSIMO.ARPA

Not so sure what path you should use to get to them, but their mailer sticks
this path, <seismo!UOTTAWA.ARPA!cmcl2!user>, on the From line. And the last
portion of the Path line said:
	...!seismo!cmcl2!psuvax1!UOTTAWA.BITNET!USER

>Please reply by mail.

I decided to post it, since this might be of interest to someone and the traffic
on the newsgroup isn't too heavy.

Bevis
{linus, ihnp4, allegra, decvax, floyd, pyramid}!utcsri!utme!ip