[comp.mail.misc] OOOOOOPSSS!

paul@vixie.UUCP (Paul Vixie Esq) (06/29/87)

In article <685@vixie.UUCP> paul@vixie.UUCP (Paul Vixie Esq) writes:
>In article <41000010@umbio> solejni@umbio.UUCP writes:
>>
>>Paul, I would be grateful for assistance with mailing mail to system
>>HASARA5, in Netherlands.  I have no knowledge of e-mail, so if you could
>>recoommend a source of published information/guidelines/tutorial, I would
>>be most grateful.  Thanks.

>postmaster@lhasa%harvard.harvard.edu will probably work.

Aaauuuuggghhhh!!

I can't believe I wrote that.  I must've been smoking too many sendmail.cf
rulesets.  I reversed the @ and % above, as John Owens just pointed out in
a mail message to me.  I really know better, this was JUST A TYPO.  Please,
don't 500 people all flame me for this!  Just a TYPO, okay?  :-)

--
Paul A Vixie Esq
329 Noe Street       {ptsfa, crash, hoptoad, ucat}!vixie!paul

janowsky@huma1.UUCP (06/29/87)

.>

What's wrong with 	postmaster@lhasa.harvard.edu	?

and avoid the @/% problems anyway?

Steve Janowsky	(janowsky@huma1.harvard.edu = ...harvard!huma1!janowsky)

paul@vixie.UUCP (Paul Vixie Esq) (07/01/87)

In article <2418@husc6.UUCP> janowsky@huma1.UUCP (Steve Janowsky) writes:
>In article <688@vixie.UUCP> paul@vixie.UUCP (Paul Vixie Esq) writes:
>.>>postmaster@lhasa%harvard.harvard.edu will probably work.
>.>Aaauuuuggghhhh!!
>
>What's wrong with 	postmaster@lhasa.harvard.edu	?
>
>and avoid the @/% problems anyway?
>
>Steve Janowsky	(janowsky@huma1.harvard.edu = ...harvard!huma1!janowsky)

Oh me, oh my.  It's begun.

Dot (.) is not a routing character, it just sortof looks a little like one.

lhasa.harvard.edu would be a site in the '.harvard.edu' mail domain; as far
as I know, lhasa is part of a totally different organization.  A domain or
a subdomain is an absolute, unambiguous way to refer to some group of users
or other hosts or other subdomains.  If 'lhasa.harvard.edu' works, then
'lhasa.xxxxx' would have to work for any xxxxx that was a domain that knew
how to route mail to 'lhasa'.  That's not the way it works.

Lhasa may have it's own fully-qualified domain name; I don't know.  Since I
didn't know, and I knew that harvard spoke to lhasa, I specified a relative
address -- a source route -- using harvard as a forwarder.  That's the way
the % and @ are meant to be used -- there is a standard for source routing
syntax, but it's kindof a pain to use:

	<@harvard.edu:user@lhasa>

So the 'olde ARPAnet %-kludge' was born.  This looks like:

	user%lhasa@harvard.edu

The rule, non-standard but almost universally understood, is to use the @
and parts right of it as the immediate destination of the message; the %
furthest to the right is turned into an @ for the next forwarding/parsing
operation.  When there are no more %'s, the message is probably for a local
recipient.

UUCP people can just use the !'s:

	harvard.edu!lhasa!user

But sometimes an ARPA site will take the presence of an "!" in an address
to mean that the message expects to be forwarded via a UUCP link, and will
not attempt to deliver it over an ARPA link.  Younger mailers will tend to
homogenize -- find the forwarding host/domain regardless of syntax, and
deliver it to whichever link will accept it.

I believed that Harvard was running the older type of mail forwarder, so I
suggested the %-kludge as the address of choice.

As others have since pointed out, lhasa wasn't even the right site, so the
original question is moot.  But I like to foster discussion on mail addressing
as often as possible, so I'm following up in detail.

I note from your signature...
>Steve Janowsky	(janowsky@huma1.harvard.edu = ...harvard!huma1!janowsky)
...a possible source of your confusion over the meaning of the '.'.  Both
forms you give are acceptable addresses for you -- because 'huma1' is a
host known to '.harvard.edu', the !-path will work;  because the full
domain name 'huma1.harvard.edu' will route to the domain server for the
'.harvard.edu' domain, which will strip off or otherwise ignore its own
domain name and ferret out the 'huma1', the domain name will work.  Since
both will work, speculation is natural on the actual nature of the addressing
syntax.  I hope I've straightened you out on this...

Anybody got a question about mail?  Anybody think I'm wrong about something?
Let me have it!  We can't both be right, unless one of us is misinformed.
Let's argue!  Let's discuss!