[comp.mail.misc] getting a map of BITNET nodes

sandell@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Gregory Sandell) (06/29/87)

     Is there a list of BITNET node names anywhere?  For example
I know that a person at the arpa address gsbacd.uchicago.edu is
also on BITNET, but I do not know how to refer to him in
bitnet-ese.
	Thanks in advance,
|   Greg Sandell                                                   |
|   ARPA:  sandell@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu                          |
|   UUCP: {ihnp4,cmcl2,decvax,vax135}!cornell!tcgould!sandell      |
|                                   /                              |
|                       rochester!-/                               |
|   BITNET: sandell@CRNLTHRY                                       |
|       "Baby, you sure can talk."  -- Down By Law	           |

dboyes@uoregon.UUCP (David Boyes) (07/04/87)

In article <1562@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> sandell@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Gregory Sandell) writes:

>     Is there a list of BITNET node names anywhere?  For example

Each month, a updates to the master routing file (BITEARN NODES) for
BITNET are distributed by BITNIC, our pathetic joke of a NIC. Also
(darn editor -- I want my XEDIT!) Since all other routing tables are
generated from this file, the nearest BITNET site to you should have
both the routing files and a program called GENROUTS that extracts lots
of useful information from the mass of data in the nodes file. WARNING:
The listing file will be HUGE -- > more than 8K records in my cramped
little spool space.

To get a listing, your best bet is to contact the postmaster of a nearby
BITNET site and ask him to generate one for you. GENROUTS is a fairly
efficient program (nice job, Berthold Pasch!) and it's fairly cheap to
run, so it shouldn't be too much hassle. That way you'll have the most
current listings.

>I know that a person at the arpa address gsbacd.uchicago.edu is
>also on BITNET, but I do not know how to refer to him in
>bitnet-ese.

Try the DARPA domain address you already have first. Most BITNET mail
software *sort of* understands domains -- support is pretty limited, but
it'll try to fake it. Much software kludging is involved on the BITNET
side, but it's not relevant here. In UUCP parlance, try this path:

	{some big site}!psuvax1!foo.bar.EDU!user

or, from the BITNET side:

	user@foo.bar.EDU

or if all else fails:

       user%foo.bar.edu@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

    Note that you CANNOT use the IBM-supplied NOTE program -- you must
    be using a mail interface such as Rice Mail AND something like the
    Crosswell MAILER -- ask your site admin for more details.

Have fun -- after all, this is one big game, right?

--
David Boyes                   ARPA: 556%OREGON1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Systems Division              BITNET: 556@OREGON1