our From: line is showing our home machine name twice in the header:

From: chemabs!chemabs!hall

for example.  We have tried to modify the place where the ruleset states
that it is adding the host name - when we delete the prepending of the
host define ($U) we get NO host name prepended.  Then we tried to modify
ruleset 4 - the final frontier - er... I mean the final output processing.;
I tried a couple of rule transforms that would identify the double name
(which DOES exist at that point) but for some reason couldnt get it to work.
I had some extensive hand written notes on sendmail which I took at the
DECUS sendmail.god session - Mr Avolio did such a fantastic job at that se
session that the cleaning crew at the hotel STOLE my notes!  Needless to
say I was stunned.  Anyways, now I am attempting to interpret the
Ultrix doc and the slides from the session and am getting no where.

Any ideas out there?  We have only changed a couple of lines (replaced the
default system name with our outside known name - a constant string.

Feel free to let me know if I have goofed somewhere obvious.
--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

diamant@hpfclp.HP.COM (John Diamant) (08/22/87)

> We appear to be getting our mail incoming and outgoing now, but
> our From: line is showing our home machine name twice in the header:
>
> From: chemabs!chemabs!hall
>
> for example.  We have tried to modify the place where the ruleset states
> that it is adding the host name - when we delete the prepending of the
> host define ($U) we get NO host name prepended.  Then we tried to modify
> ruleset 4 - the final frontier - er... I mean the final output processing.;
> I tried a couple of rule transforms that would identify the double name
> (which DOES exist at that point) but for some reason couldnt get it to work.

Sometimes rules get called more than once, which is probably the source of
your problem.  Where you find the rule that prepends the $U, change the ruleset
to only do that only if it isn't already there.  You could do that by adding
a rule before the one that removes your host name if it is there, and then
if the rule is called twice, it would just get removed and added again.

John Diamant
TSBU				UUCP:  {hplabs,hpfcla}!hpfclp!diamant
Hewlett Packard Co.		ARPA Internet: diamant%hpfclp@hplabs.HP.COM
Fort Collins, CO