[comp.mail.misc] Smail or Elm??

jte@psuvax1.UUCP (09/07/87)

Is it a good idea to run ELM on a 3B2/300?  I was going to pick between
smail or ELM and had settled on SMAIL because it looks very simple but
now I hear that ELM has a smart user-interface.  Which should I choose?
All I need is a mailer that will be able to forward mail messages to
a smarthost if it can't figure out what to do with it.  Thanks for any info.

--Jon

# jte@psuvax1.psu.edu (128.118.6.2)  <- ARPA    Phone: 814-237-1901 (Home)   #
# jte@psuvax1                        <- BITNET  Phone: 814-865-9723 (Work)   #
# <ihnp4,burdvax,purdue>!psuvax1!jte <- UUCP    BBS: 814-865-9550 (300/1200) #

gertjan@convx.convex.nl (Gertjan Vinkesteyn) (09/07/87)

In article <2908@psuvax1.psu.edu>, jte@psuvax1.psu.edu (Jon Eckhardt) writes:
> Is it a good idea to run ELM on a 3B2/300?  I was going to pick between
> smail or ELM and had settled on SMAIL because it looks very simple but
> now I hear that ELM has a smart user-interface.  Which should I choose?

ELM and SMAIL are different kind of mailing systems.  You should compare elm
with mail (or berkeley Mail/mailx) and smail with sendmail.
Smail is a smart mailer what can sort things out for you, like what uucp
mail path to use etc. it can work in combination with or without sendmail.
So on SysV systems without sendmail it will run just fine not having sendmail.
But you do need a 'user mailer' on top of it like ELM, mailx or mail.
--
UUCP and other network	  )\/(	in America: ..!seismo!mcvax!convx!gertjan
  connections via mcvax	  )/\(	in Europe: ..!mcvax!convx!gertjan

jv@mhres.mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (09/07/87)

In article <2908@psuvax1.psu.edu> jte@psuvax1.psu.edu (Jon Eckhardt) writes:
>.....  I was going to pick between
>smail or ELM and had settled on SMAIL because it looks very simple but
>now I hear that ELM has a smart user-interface.  ....

You are talking about two different things.

Smail is a mail router, which finds out (more or less) how and where to
transport mail to. It calls upon local and remote services (binmail and
uux) for the actual delivery. Smail is not intended to be used directly.

Elm is a mail user interface. It is very friendly, and has a number of
features built-in which are also handled by the mail router & delivery
services.

So you can (should?) run both - elm as a user interface, and smail as the
router. You can disable most of elm's "own" handling of uucp paths, routes
and such and leave those to smail.

--
Johan Vromans                              | jv@mh.nl via European backbone
Multihouse N.V., Gouda, the Netherlands    | uucp: ..{?????!}mcvax!mh.nl!jv

karl@tut.UUCP (09/08/87)

Smail is strictly a back-end, whereas elm is a user agent.  Smail goes
in to replace your current /bin/rmail (with a link as smail), and on
SysV boxes it puts a new front-end in place of /bin/mail, which knows
how to find the renamed /bin/mail as /bin/lmail for local mail
delivery.  Elm does nice things for you on a screen which smail knows
(and cares) nothing about.
--
Karl

honey@umix.cc.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) (09/10/87)

in mailer science jargon, it's the distinction between a user agent and
a message transfer agent.

	peter