[comp.mail.misc] how do I use arpatxt

evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) (10/14/87)

Has anyone figured out a way to use the 'arpatxt' program that
was included with the recent release of pathalias??

From the sparse documentation, I assume that it will take
the ARPAnet hosts database, usually in /etc/hosts, and convert
it to a pathalias input file.  However, I have been unable
to get it to do this.  Thanks for any and all assistance.

	Evan Bauman
	Univ. of Notre Dame
	..!iuvax!ndcheg!evan

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (10/15/87)

"arpatxt" takes a file in "HOSTS.TXT" format, much as you would
receive from running "/etc/gettable sri-nic.ARPA" on an Internet host.
It is NOT a file with the same format as /etc/hosts.

Here's the start of HOSTS.TXT which describes its format:

; DoD Internet Host Table
;  8-Oct-87
;  Version number 679
;
; Changes, corrections, comments or questions to (HOSTMASTER@SRI-NIC.ARPA)
;
; The format of this file is documented in RFC 952, "DoD Internet
; Host Table Specification", which is available online at SRI-NIC
; as the file
;              [SRI-NIC]<RFC>RFC952.TXT
;
; It may be retrieved via FTP using username ANONYMOUS with
; any password.
;
; The format for entries is:
;
; NET : NET-ADDR : NETNAME :
; GATEWAY : ADDR, ADDR : NAME : CPUTYPE : OPSYS : PROTOCOLS :
; HOST : ADDR, ALTERNATE-ADDR (if any): HOSTNAME,NICKNAME : CPUTYPE :
;   OPSYS : PROTOCOLS :
;
; Where:
;;  ADDR = internet address in decimal, e.g., 26.0.0.73
;;  CPUTYPE = machine type (PDP-11/70, VAX-11/780, FOONLY-F3, C/30, etc.)
;;  OPSYS = operating system (UNIX, TOPS20, TENEX, ITS, etc.)
;;  PROTOCOLS = transport/service (TCP/TELNET,TCP/FTP, etc.)
;;  : (colon) = field delimiter
;;  :: (2 colons) = null field
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu

honey@umix.cc.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) (10/15/87)

arpatxt uses hosts.txt, not /etc/hosts.  arguably, it should use the
latter.  that's easy to change, but i've sworn off pathalias hacking.

see make.honey for a sample use of arpatxt.

	peter

ehrlich@psuvax1.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) (10/15/87)

In article <317@spdcc.COM> dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>"arpatxt" takes a file in "HOSTS.TXT" format, much as you would
>receive from running "/etc/gettable sri-nic.ARPA" on an Internet host.
>It is NOT a file with the same format as /etc/hosts.

I have been remiss in reading news of late and must have missed
'arpatxt' going by.  What is it?  What does it do?  Thanks.

--Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@psuvax1.{psu.edu,bitnet,uucp}>
The Pennsylvania State University, Computer Science Department
333 Whitmore Laboratory, University Park, PA   16802
+1 814 863 1142
--
--Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@psuvax1.{psu.edu,bitnet,uucp}>
The Pennsylvania State University, Computer Science Department
333 Whitmore Laboratory, University Park, PA   16802
+1 814 863 1142

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (10/16/87)

"arpatxt" was one of the programs packaged with the latest "pathalias"
distribution which came over the net.  It converts a hosts.txt file to
pathalias input, using a named host as a gateway machine to the Internet.