[comp.mail.misc] using ARPANET and USENET together in mail

lai@srcsip.UUCP (Henry Lai) (10/16/87)

If I want to send mail from A to B, when both A and B have
USENET access only, is it possible to send part of the mail
through ARPANET?  The reason is that intermediate UUCP sites
caused a lot of delays.  How can I do that?
Thanx.

--
{philabs,meccts,umn-cs,mmm}!srcsip!lai     UUCP address ONLY
Henry K. Lai                               (612)-782-7574

fair@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Erik E. Fair) (10/17/87)

In the referenced article, srcsip!lai writes:

>If I want to send mail from A to B, when both A and B have
>USENET access only, is it possible to send part of the mail
>through ARPANET?  The reason is that intermediate UUCP sites
>caused a lot of delays.  How can I do that?

The right way to do what you want is establish a direct UUCP
connection between A and B.

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu

campbell@maynard.BSW.COM (Larry Campbell) (10/18/87)

In article <342@altura.srcsip.UUCP> srcsip!lai writes:

<>If I want to send mail from A to B, when both A and B have
<>USENET access only, is it possible to send part of the mail
<>through ARPANET?  The reason is that intermediate UUCP sites
<>caused a lot of delays.  How can I do that?

Don't do it.  The ARPANET is supposed to be used only for the conduct
of official DARPA-related business.  Now, this rule does of course
get bent pretty far.  But what you're suggesting is probably too
blatant for DARPA to ignore.  Done often enough, it could jeopardize
the continuing  existence of the ARPANET-UUCP links being used.
--
Larry Campbell                                The Boston Software Works, Inc.
Internet: campbell@maynard.bsw.com          120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109