[comp.mail.misc] Seismo's demise

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (10/21/87)

Two folks write:
>My mail through seismo gets bounced, and I'm using hard paths...

>Regarding the demise of seismo, send mail to uunet!rick, and he
>will give you the status.  (I am not trying to flood Rick with mail,
Seismo has been dead for quite some time -- there were large announcements
made several weeks ago, and seismo itself has been marked as out of
commission as a mail server for over six weeks.

Look at the current maps, or better you update your mail software: unless
you really know what you're doing (and if you don't know about seismo's
departure, then you don't), having to use "hard paths" is a mistake.
	/r$
--
For comp.sources.unix stuff, mail to sources@uunet.uu.net.

scott@zorch.UU.NET (Scott Hazen Mueller) (10/23/87)

In article <214@papaya.bbn.com> rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
>Look at the current maps, or better you update your mail software: unless
>you really know what you're doing (and if you don't know about seismo's
>departure, then you don't), having to use "hard paths" is a mistake.
>	/r$

Well, speaking as someone who was still fairly recently a net.novice, I
can say that using "hard paths" may be a mistake, but it's often about
the only way to get anything done.  For instance, on any netnews site
that doesn't talk Internet addressing (any non-smail site, just about),
the first thing that you are presented with on replying is a hard path.
Being a mere mortal user at the time, I could hardly presume to tell
the sysadmin to do this or that, and so I learned to do mail via explicit
paths.  How did I do it?  Well, I learned a relatively small number of
long-distance links, and then routed things over those links.  What I'm
trying to point out is, on the typical "news is a hobby" Usenet system,
routing across explicit paths may be the only means available.  The
question wrt seismo's status is a legitimate one; not all users read news.*,
and not all administrators extract the important stuff and notify their
users...

...and another consideration is that many, many people still have lines
like seismo!foovax!me in their .signatures...

         \scott
--
Scott Hazen Mueller   ( near_me ? lll-crg!csustan!helium : uunet )!zorch!scott
(209) 527-1203