[comp.mail.misc] UUCP to FidoNet- Can it be done?

apeed@ihlpg.UUCP (10/28/87)

   I have a friend in the process of setting up a bulletin board in Marinette,
WI which is going to become a FidoNet node. Is there any way I can send mail
to him from UUCP? If so, where is the gateway?

   Thanks,
           Andy
Andrew B. Peed                         | UUCP: ihnp4!ihlpg!apeed
AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville, IL        | BITNET: moss!ihlpg!apeed at rutgers.edu

root@uwspan.UUCP (10/30/87)

+---- In <4173@ihlpg.ATT.COM> Andrew B. Peed writes:
|    I have a friend in the process of setting up a bulletin board in Marinette,
| WI which is going to become a FidoNet node. Is there any way I can send mail
| to him from UUCP? If so, where is the gateway?
+----

John Galvin has produced a set of software which turns a FIDO system into
a fully operational, bi-directional Usenet news and mail node.  Your
friend can take advantage of John's gateway by doing the following two things:

1) Have your friend contact John (Madison, WI, FIDO/SEAdog 121/1) and set
things up to "POLL" John's node on a regular basis.
(The words "POLL", "SEAdog", and "121/1" will mean specific things to him)
 -and-
2) Have your friend register with IFNA, to get an official net/node number.

Once this is done, you can mail to your friend using the path:
    rutgers!uwvax!uwspan!circle!<his net number>!<his node number>!<his_name>
For example, to send mail to John Galvin you would use:
    rutgers!uwvax!uwspan!circle!121!1!John_Galvin
If you are using a smart mailer, you *might* also be able to use:
    John_Galvin@circle.uucp

He might also want to use John's UFGATE software to set up his system as
a gateway, but the above is by far the simplest way of doing things for now.

cf. Tim Pozar, Garry Paxinos, Oscar Barlow, et al, who have also done much
of the work needed to get this package working!

--
Email to unix-at-request@uwspan with questions about the newsgroup unix-at,
otherwise mail to unix-at@uwspan with a Subject containing one of:

pozar@hoptoad.UUCP (10/30/87)

In article <4173@ihlpg.ATT.COM> apeed@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Andrew B. Peed) writes:

>   I have a friend in the process of setting up a bulletin board in Marinette,
>WI which is going to become a FidoNet node. Is there any way I can send mail
>to him from UUCP? If so, where is the gateway?

    Through me.   Send it to ...sun!hoptoad!fidogate.  Normally
it would be addressed to:
    name@nodex.netx.zonex.ifna.org
eg. Tim_Pozar@node406.net125.zone1.ifna.org
    But we havn't got the domain set up completely yet.  I will
hand process mail until then.  So, don't get radical with mail
8-).
	       Tim

| ...sun!hoptoad!\                                     Tim Pozar      |
|                 >fidogate!pozar               Fido:  1:125/406      |
|  ...lll-winken!/                            PaBell:  (415) 788-3904 |
|         USNail:  KKSF  77 Maiden Lane  San Francisco CA 94108       |