[comp.mail.misc] can pmdf be run over tcp-ip?

edward@comp.vuw.ac.nz.UUCP (10/30/87)

We're just beginning to use pmdf & tcop ion Unix & VMS Vaxen.  Is
there  any way to run pmdf over tcp-ip instead of phone links? As
this is probably a simple query, please reply via email. Thanks.

--
Ed Wilkinson  ...!uunet!vuwcomp!edward  or  edward@comp.vuw.ac.nz

egisin@orchid.UUCP (11/01/87)

In article <13051@comp.vuw.ac.nz>, edward@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Ed Wilkinson) writes:
> We're just beginning to use pmdf & tcop ion Unix & VMS Vaxen.  Is
> there  any way to run pmdf over tcp-ip instead of phone links? As
> this is probably a simple query, please reply via email. Thanks.

PMDF and PhoneNet are often confused.
PhoneNet is a transport protocol (for mail) over asynchronous lines.
There are a couple of implementations of it under Unix, and one is
called (inappropriately) "PMDF".

The PMDF package under VMS is a "mailer", like sendmail and MMDF on Unix.
It includes support for several transport protocols, including PhoneNet,
DecNet, and SMTP/TCP/IP.

So PMDF on VMS supports TCP/IP, but the TCP/IP itself is a separate package.