[comp.mail.misc] What is the proper way to forward mail?

root@hobbes.UUCP (Super Duper) (11/14/87)

Elm's Filter program can be used to forward messages.  When used in such a
way, filter transforms the following header:

	From uwspan!uwvax!puff.cs.wisc.edu!jeff
	Date: some date
	From: jeff@puff.cs.wisc.edu (Jeff Public)
	Subject: something
	To: plocher@hobbes.uucp

into
	From: Filter of plocher@hobbes <plocher>
	To: newperson@newmachine

As I read RFC822 it *should* be doing this instead:

	Date: some date
	From: jeff@puff.cs.wisc.edu (Jeff Public)
	To: plocher@hobbes.uucp

The questions:
	Do I understand things OK?

	Is the current Filter behavior correct?

	What will break if I try to use the Resent- fields as shown in
	the last example?

	What is the answer to life, the universe, and everything?

-John

ps.  Don't bother answering the last one - I know what the answer to *that* one
is cuz my digital watch told it to me :-)

ejnorman@uwmacc.UUCP (Eric Norman) (11/14/87)

In article <289@hobbes.UUCP> plocher@hobbes.UUCP (John Plocher) claims:
> As I read RFC822 it *should* be doing this instead:

> 	Do I understand things OK?

Doesn't seem so.  RFC822 says to me that Resent- fields are to be added
by people.  E.g. they're designed to handle the "Gertrude, you know more
about this than I do; you take it" case. They could be added, for instance,
if you typed FORWARD (but not SET FORWARD) at VMS mail.  Claiming that a
.forward file or an alias that expands to a mailing list is an original
recipient seems a bit far-fetched.

Personally, I wouldn't even want to put 'em even in that case since there's
an awful lot of mail systems that think Resent-From: takes precedence over
From: even though RFC822 specifically says it ain't gonna specifically
say.  This seems undesirable either way you look at it.  The only thing
that makes sense to me as a "best guess" is that replies go to the author.

Eric Norman
Internet:     ejnorman@unix2.macc.wisc.edu
UUCP:         ...!uwvax!ejnorman
Life:         Detroit!Alexandria!Omaha!Indianapolis!Madison!Hyde

"I really had to act; 'cause I didn't have any lines."
		-- Marilyn Chambers
--

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (11/17/87)

The header is illegal solely because it has no date line.
There are not any strict requirements for formatting resent
mail as long as you obey the rules in general.  The resent
lines are there only if you want to use them.

-Ron