[comp.mail.misc] NSFnet

jwabik@shamash.UUCP (Jeff Wabik) (11/11/87)

Neither of these groups is really the correct place to post about this
subject, but, I couldn't find a better place, so, here goes:

NSFnet is an ARPA_like network sponsored by the National Science Foundation.
We are considering an NSFnet connection here at CDC, but I can't squeeze any
info about the network and its connectivity from the higher_ups (probably
'cause they dont know, either .. )   ..

Does anyone out there know what NSFnet IS, what its designed to do, who
may use it (apparently we already have permission, but I'm curious
about who else I might find out there.. ), if UUCP is supported over
it, what protocol it uses, etc, etc, etc?

Please respond by mail since, again, this is not the place for this discussion.

Thanks!

	-Jeff

---
Jeff A. Wabik @ Control Data Corporation          Bloomington, MN  55440
UUCP: {rosevax,umn-cs,meccts,ems}!shamash!jwabik  ARPA: jwabik@ub.d.umn.edu
Disclaimer:  Knows not my employer what do I here.

			   Live long and program.

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (11/13/87)

NSFnet is a network funded by the National Science Foundation.
It consists of the backbone, which links six major supercomputer
centers in the U.S., regional networks such as NYSER, SURAN, and MIDnet
that join research sites in a large section of the country (but
are adminstered seperately), and campus nets at each individual
sites.

NSFnet is not supposed to be a conduit for commericial sites to
get access to the Internet.  However, the most definitive answers
to your questions can probably had by contacting Dr. Stephen Wolff
at NSF.  His Email address is steve@note.nsf.net.

-Ron

brianc@cca.ucsf.edu.UUCP (11/20/87)

In article <597@shamash.UUCP> jwabik@shamash.UUCP (Jeff Wabik) writes:

>Neither of these groups is really the correct place to post about this
>subject, but, I couldn't find a better place, so, here goes:
>
>NSFnet is an ARPA_like network sponsored by the National Science Foundation.
>We are considering an NSFnet connection here at CDC, but I can't squeeze any
>info about the network and its connectivity from the higher_ups (probably
>'cause they dont know, either .. )   ..

Well I was just reading the July '87 issue of NSF Network News.  In
this issue is an aritcle: "A User's introduction to NSFnet (part 1)".
The address on the back of this issue is

NNSC
BBN Laboratories Incorporated
10 Moulton Street
Cambridge, MA 02238
(617) 497-3400

They can either give you a copy/subscription to NSF Newtork News or
tell you who can.

>Does anyone out there know what NSFnet IS, what its designed to do, who
>may use it (apparently we already have permission, but I'm curious
>about who else I might find out there.. ), if UUCP is supported over
>it, what protocol it uses, etc, etc, etc?

According to page 5 of the above:

"NSFNET is part of a larger internet ... called the Internet. ...
NSFNET is generally used to refer to the portion of the Internet that
relies on the NSF Backbone network, a wide-area network that links the
National Supercomputing Centers.

"Each component network of NSFNET suports .. the Internet Protocol ..."

So one must first be a registered Internet site.  I guess some one at
SRI ( I think that is Stanford Resarch Institute but I could be wrong.)
in Palo Alto California would be the one to contact about such an issue.

Furthermore, reading a little further in this little newsletter there
is the following information:

"The NSF Network Service Center (NNSC), located at BBN Laboratories
Inc. [Aha ... they are the ones resp. for this newsletter] is a
project of the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research....
The NNSC serves as the first point of contact for people who want
information abouts NSFNET.  The NNSC provides an on-line mailbox ...
[etc.] ... "

How to reach the NNSC:
Hotline: (same phone number as above)
E-Mail: nnsc@nnsc.nsf.net
USMAIL: (same address as above)

>Please respond by mail since, again, this is not the place for this discussion.

Aha, but this very well may have a great impact on e-mail of the future.

>Thanks!

Your Welcome!

>			   Live long and program.

But not if you program in COBOL, BASIC, PL/I ....

Brian Colfer : UCSF Dept. of Lab. Medicine : brianc@cca.ucsf.edu or
             : L524, CA,94143 415-476-2325 : ucbvax!cca.ucsf.edu!brianc

                               Dr Who?

woods@hao.UUCP (11/20/87)

In article <1084@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> brianc@cca.ucsf.edu.UUCP (Brian Colfer) writes:
>Aha, but this very well may have a great impact on e-mail of the future.

  I can assure you that NSFnet has already had a huge impact on email of
the present (note the "ucar" in our domain name!). We are a USENET backbone
site using NSFnet for all our mail and news transfers (except for a small
number of local phone links used for mail and local news only).

--Greg