[comp.mail.misc] Q: sending/receiving Telexes from micro or via USENET - any pointers?

kraut@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (11/10/87)

we would like to explore the existing alternatives for sending/receiving
telexes on our USENET-connected SUN or on one of our modem-connected micros.
I know I've seen information mentioning this possibility during the past few
years, but would appreciate any pointers, especially recent information.

I believe that NetWord Inc used to offer such service - but they are out-of
business.  Portal may have mentioned such a service, but I can't find any info
in my archives on that.  MCI-mail comes to mind as being a possibility ...

	thanks for any leads,		---Werner
-------------------------------
werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu
werner@ngp.utexas.edu
werner@ut-ngp.uucp

--
kraut@ngp.utexas.edu

In article <6795@ut-ngp.UUCP>, kraut@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
> we would like to explore the existing alternatives for sending/receiving
> telexes on our USENET-connected SUN or on one of our modem-connected micros.
> I know I've seen information mentioning this possibility during the past few
> years, but would appreciate any pointers, especially recent information.
>
> I believe that NetWord Inc used to offer such service - but they are out-of
> business.  Portal may have mentioned such a service, but I can't find any info
> in my archives on that.  MCI-mail comes to mind as being a possibility ...

	All of the major telex providers - Western Union, Western Union
International (MCI), RCA Global Communications and ITT - provide telex
service with DDD "mailbox access".  Such service eliminates dedicated
leased lines for access, the cost of which has become astronomical in the
past 4 years.
	To use the DDD access service, one dials a local or 800-number and
uploads a telex message according to a predetermined format.  Some of these
services connect to the called telex subscriber in an "online" fashion;
others use store-and-forward.  To receive telex messages, one dials the
DDD telex access number on a daily or regular basis, and queries the user
mailbox.  The UNIX cu(1) utility works fine for this.
	My organization has telex service through RCA, but we use a variation
of the above.  We call a local number to send telex messages; we wrote a
a program that uses dial(3), detects and send answerbacks, and takes the
text of a message to be sent from an input file.  To receive messages,
we have a dedicated telephone line with a TI terminal that has answerback
capability; RCA calls us with all incoming messages instead of our having
to periodically check a mailbox.  This method is still much cheaper than
a leased line.
	I would suggest that you contact one of the above telex providers
directly instead of going through some intermediary.  I recommend RCA;
the only recurring cost is a $ 25.00/month minimum bill - which is not
a problem.  There is no access charge per se.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|utzoo|uunet}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"

ela@mhuxh.UUCP (Gary E. Pratt) (11/11/87)

In article <6795@ut-ngp.UUCP> kraut@ut-ngp.UUCP writes:
>we would like to explore the existing alternatives for sending/receiving
>telexes on our USENET-connected SUN or on one of our modem-connected micros.
>I believe that NetWord Inc used to offer such service - but they are out-of
>business.  Portal may have mentioned such a service, but I can't find any info
>in my archives on that.  MCI-mail comes to mind as being a possibility ...
>
> Werner

Werner,

Another alternative would be AT&T Mail.  This service features worldwide
sending/receiving of telex, electronic mail, remote voice retrieval, U.S. mail, 4-hour mail, etc.

For more information, call 1-800-MAIL-672.

.
.
.
.
.

Disclaimer:  I am an employee of AT&T.  I have utilized AT&T Mail for the
             past 2 years (including telexes to/from Europe, Middle East
             and Africa)

Gary Pratt
(too new on USENET to have a .signature)

rwhite@nusdhub.UUCP (12/04/87)

In article <2217@kitty.UUCP>, larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
	Lots of TELEX stuff deleted.

> 	I would suggest that you contact one of the above telex providers
> directly instead of going through some intermediary.  I recommend RCA;
> the only recurring cost is a $ 25.00/month minimum bill - which is not
> a problem.  There is no access charge per se.

We went to AT&TMAIL.  They just have you make an entry in your
Systems file for their machine.  when you want to send a TELEX
[or e-mail or paper mail] you observe a few vary basic and
simple conventions [like adding a "To: TELEX.address" or some
such]  when you send things out you just let uucp do the work.
When something arives, they call you. [i.e. no polling]  You
only have to pay for text sent and receiving is free.  Access
is by 800 number, and I don't think there is a monthly charge
[I don't know about the monthly minimum, but nothing I have read
so far mentions one]

The order/inquiry number is 1-800-MAIL672 if you are interested.

	They will register your machine over the phone, but you
better be near a terminal as you and the rep. will have to
establish the uucp connection, and they will need to get a
proper connection before they will activate an account.
It takes about 3 buisness days for the connection to become
productive, and about 5 buisness days to get your instructions.

It all looks great so far.

Disclaimer:  I don't work for AT&T in any way and they may not
	have wanted me to give out the number.

Rob.