[comp.mail.misc] HP-UX mailx blows up on RFC822

ruiu@tic.UUCP (Dragos Ruiu) (11/23/87)

Does anyone know why HP-UX mail (equiv SVR2 mail, mailx) blows up when asked
to reply to mail with an Internet (@) From: line ?

It really blows up, Segmentation Fault (core dumped)!

Before anyone replies with the obvious, I have tried the -U and set conv...
There is no rc file, so nothing funny is going on there, and I have tested
this with settings that *shouldn't* make a difference.

It doesn't complain at all, it just goes boom.

Here is a sample of mail-slaying mail:

>From dragos!work Sun Nov 22 15:39 MST 1987
>To: ruiu@tic
>Subject: let's try again
>Date: 22 Nov 87 15:23:46 MST (Sun)
>From: work@dragos.UUCP (Dragos Ruiu)
>
>fdsdafds

The reason I assume that the From: line is guilty is because the only cause
of the blow up seems to be system dragos switching to smail 2.5.

Please e-mail suggestions, will summarize on request.
Will post fix or workaround if this is really a bug and not my stupidity.
--
Dragos Ruiu          Disclaimer: My opinons are my employer's, I'm unemployed!
            UUCP:{ubc-vision,mnetor,vax135,ihnp4}!alberta!edson!tic!dragos!work

raveling@vaxa.isi.edu (Paul Raveling) (11/24/87)

	[I tried to answer via email, but got a mailer error of a type
	unknown to me, so will post.  BTW, the mailer error ocurred
	on a VAX running BSD4.3.  In my opinion the "universal" mail
	support on Un*x systems is a pile of dung, no matter which
	breed of Un*x it is.   I sincerely hope someone will flame
	me for this statement and prove there's GOOD mail support
	somewhere.]

In article <159@tic.UUCP> you write:
>Does anyone know why HP-UX mail (equiv SVR2 mail, mailx) blows up when asked
>to reply to mail with an Internet (@) From: line ?
>
>It really blows up, Segmentation Fault (core dumped)!

	I don't have that problem, although it's easy to imagine
	it could occur.  My best guess is there's probably something
	that needs a change in your sendmail.cf file.  I'm using
	a version that I hacked somewhat blindly -- sendmail's
	way of specifying address rewriting rules is atrocious.

	One possibility is the mailer invocation.  The sendmail.cf
	that came with our systems (I believe from HPLabs, at least
	a year ago) caused sendmail to invoke mail with a switch
	that mail didn't honor.

	If possible, get in touch with Peter Marvit (Marvit@hplabs.hp.com).
	He seems to be more adept with mail problems than anyone
	else on HP systems.

---------------------
Paul Raveling
Raveling@vaxa.isi.edu

ramin@scampi.UUCP (Fubar Void) (11/27/87)

In article <159@tic.UUCP>, ruiu@tic.UUCP (Dragos Ruiu) writes:
> Does anyone know why HP-UX mail (equiv SVR2 mail, mailx) blows up when asked
> to reply to mail with an Internet (@) From: line ?
>
> It really blows up, Segmentation Fault (core dumped)!
>
> Before anyone replies with the obvious, I have tried the -U and set conv...
> There is no rc file, so nothing funny is going on there, and I have tested
> this with settings that *shouldn't* make a difference.

Running mailx on HP9000/840, we had problems with segmentation faults.
This particular problem was with parsing errors in the mailrc file. An extra
space around an "=" was the problem in this case (*WE* were amused (:-))
Before that, another error was found to be *NOT* having an rc file (and
the necessary adjunct, an unreadable rc file. And yet another
was an accidental erasure of "sendmail.cf" which was restored. Mailx works
fine now, but is *VERY* touchy. Individual users can crash their copies
by not being careful in their .mailrc file. Fixes, reportedly, are in the
works...

Hope this helps...
r.

--

ramin@scampi.sc-scicon.com --or--
{ihnp4,lll-lcc,hoptoad}!scampi!ramin

rwhite@nusdhub.UUCP (12/04/87)

In article <159@tic.UUCP>, ruiu@tic.UUCP (Dragos Ruiu) writes:
> Does anyone know why HP-UX mail (equiv SVR2 mail, mailx) blows up when asked
> to reply to mail with an Internet (@) From: line ?
>
> It really blows up, Segmentation Fault (core dumped)!

If your problem is my problem, the issue is simple.  /bin/mailx
is sort of a front end for /bin/mail.  The biggest problem with
this is that /bin/mail dosn't know a @ from adam.  For inastance
if I say "mailx -U rwhite" [which is me] /bin/mail will choke
on the "rwhite@nusdhub" and return an error message ot the
tune of "unknown system name" or "user not found" or some such.
[I don't remember which]

My basic guess is that the either 1) your /bin/mail program has
not been hacked to return an error, or 2) the pipe-handler in your
kernel is doing odd things when the "@" is written to or read from
the pipe, or 3) when /bin/mailx is setting up the exec call to
/bin/mail it is violating some vaccous quoting standard for the
handeling of the @.

If you have an internet capable mailer, you should set sendmail=
under mailx, to that mailer's path, or loose the "@" entirly

Rob.

Disclaimer: Spelling only counts if a _machine_ is going to parse...

diamant@hpfclp.UUCP (12/06/87)

> In article <159@tic.UUCP>, ruiu@tic.UUCP (Dragos Ruiu) writes:
> > Does anyone know why HP-UX mail (equiv SVR2 mail, mailx) blows up when asked
> > to reply to mail with an Internet (@) From: line ?
> >
> > It really blows up, Segmentation Fault (core dumped)!
>
> If you have an internet capable mailer, you should set sendmail=
> under mailx, to that mailer's path, or loose the "@" entirly

This commment reminded me of a possible source of the problem.  Sendmail is
shipped on HP-UX disabled.  The way this is done is by having the execute
bits turned off on /usr/lib/sendmail.  This is done because not everyone
wants or needs sendmail, and it does require some administration, so a
normal update will not turn it on.  If that is the case, you can globally
enable it for the machine by changing the permissions (which you have to do
anyway if you want to use sendmail) and then you don't need to set
sendmail= in your .mailrc or whatever, since it knows the default location
for sendmail.  If you are using smail or something else instead of
sendmail, then changing sendmail's permissions would be unnecessary.
/bin/mail is too dumb to deal with "@" addresses, so you have to have a
smarter mail transport (sendmail or smail, or both).

I don't know why you get a segmentation fault -- it's obviously a bug, but
I've never seen it (on a 300, even when sendmail is turned off).

John Diamant			UUCP:  {hplabs,hpfcla}!hpfclp!diamant
Hewlett Packard Co.		ARPA Internet: diamant%hpfclp@hplabs.HP.COM
Fort Collins, CO