[comp.mail.misc] X.400 information wanted

sfp@aplvax.UUCP (Steve Parr) (12/03/87)

Hello,

   I have been told to learn all I can about X.400.  So I am about to sit down
and read through RFC 1026 (Mapping between X.400 and RFC 822) to see if I can
glean any information out of it.  It is the only documentation I have.  I would
appreciate pointers to any other information about X.400 or any info about
implementations of X.400.

Thanks in advance,
Steve Parr

sfp@aplvax.jhuapl.edu
sfp@aplvax.arpa

morrison@nucsrl.UUCP (Vance Morrison) (12/09/87)

Hello,

	I must admit it is quite difficult to get information on X.400.
If you call ANSI at (212) 354-3300, you can ask a copy of THE standard.
But be warned.  It costs $29.00 and it is VERY dull reading.  I have
been looking in journal indexes hoping to find an artical on X.400 that
is more of a tutorial than a reference.  Anyone out there find such
a article???

					Vance Morrison
					Northwestern University
					morrison@accuvax.nwu.edu

kehres@tis.llnl.gov (Tim Kehres) (12/31/87)

In article <3390003@nucsrl.UUCP> morrison@nucsrl.UUCP (Vance Morrison) writes:

> Hello,
>
> 	I must admit it is quite difficult to get information on X.400.
> If you call ANSI at (212) 354-3300, you can ask a copy of THE standard.
> But be warned.  It costs $29.00 and it is VERY dull reading.  I have
> been looking in journal indexes hoping to find an artical on X.400 that
> is more of a tutorial than a reference.  Anyone out there find such
> a article???

I would assume what you would get using the route would be the same as is
published in the CCITT Red Book (the 1984 series of recommendations).  While
this is reasonable stuff to read (especially when you are having a hard time
getting to sleep), it is outdated since the Blue books will be coming out
soon (the 1988 version).  For more current information, you might try getting
in touch with Omnicom, Inc.  They carry not only the ANSI and CCITT documents,
but copies of a lot of the working documents for the new versions of these
standards/recommendations.  They can be reached at (703) 281-1135.

-- Tim Kehres --
kehres@tis.llnl.gov