[comp.mail.misc] Query about analog mail system

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (12/28/87)

The U.S. Postal Service has some slogan about neither rain nor sleet nor
gloom of night not distracting their couriers from their appointed rounds.
If anyone knows the exact quote, I'd appreciate it if you would send it to
me (by e-mail!).  Thanks.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

mjr@osiris.UUCP (Marcus J. Ranum) (12/29/87)

In article <1804@botter.cs.vu.nl>, ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:

> The U.S. Postal Service has some slogan about neither rain nor sleet nor
> gloom of night not distracting their couriers from their appointed rounds.

	yeah...   but it's still only a penny a day for delivery !!!

--mjr();

(actually, I believe the above quote has never applied to the US Snail.
Wasn't it some king of the ancient's couriers ?)
--
Once, there was NO fun...
This was before MENU planning, FASHION statements or NAUTILUS equipment...

dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Heller) (12/29/87)

In article <1491@osiris.UUCP> mjr@osiris.UUCP (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:
>In article <1804@botter.cs.vu.nl>, ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>
>> The U.S. Postal Service has some slogan about neither rain nor sleet nor
>> gloom of night not distracting their couriers from their appointed rounds.
>(actually, I believe the above quote has never applied to the US Snail.
>Wasn't it some king of the ancient's couriers ?)

I think it went something like:

Thru rain, snow, sleet or hail,
Nothing can stop the US Mail.

Funny they don't mention mush :-)

Dan Heller (island!argv@ucbcad.berkeley.edu)
			...dan

bill@geac.UUCP (William Daddis) (12/31/87)

The slogan is carved in the stonework of the U. S. Post
Office in New York City.  As nearly as I can remember,
it says "Neither rain nor snow nor dark of night shall
stay these carriers from their appointed rounds."

Surely there must be some New Yorkers on this net!
(I used to live in N. J.)

                            -- Bill

daveb@llama.rtech.UUCP (Dave Brower) (01/05/88)

In article <2048@geac.UUCP> bill@geac.UUCP (William Daddis) writes:
>The slogan is carved in the stonework of the U. S. Post
>Office in New York City.  As nearly as I can remember,
>it says "Neither rain nor snow nor dark of night shall
>stay these carriers from their appointed rounds."
                         ^
minor corrections, from dim memory:

s/carriers/couriers/
s/from/from swift completion of/

They probably carved those words when horses and carts were the main
mode of transport, and service has only marginally deteriorated since :-).

-dB
"I don't care what you say, as long as you spell my name right."
{amdahl, cbosgd, mtxinu, ptsfa, sun}!rtech!daveb daveb@rtech.uucp

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (01/07/88)

From Laurie Anderson's "O Superman":

	Neither snow nor rain, nor gloom of night shall
	stay these couriers from the swift completion
	of their appointed rounds.

I assume she looked it up before she used it in the song.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
"I've never liked reality all that much, but I haven't found a

mdg@smegma.UUCP (Marc de Groot) (01/12/88)

In article <1531@rtech.UUCP> daveb@rtech.UUCP (Dave Brower) writes:
>In article <2048@geac.UUCP> bill@geac.UUCP (William Daddis) writes:
>>it says "Neither rain nor snow nor dark of night shall
>>stay these carriers from their appointed rounds."
>
>s/carriers/couriers/
>s/from/from swift completion of/

I believe there is
another correction to make:

s/dark/gloom

And perhaps with the word "carriers" in
there, it applies better to e-mail. :-)

"Neither line noise, nor crosstalk, nor electrical disturbance, shall
stay these carriers from swift completion of their appointed rounds."

--
Marc de Groot (KG6KF)
UUCP: {hplabs, sun, ucbvax}!amdcad!uport!smegma!mdg