[comp.mail.misc] Dialmail, ENVOY 100, OMNET, ONTYME Access

ccjoan@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu (Joan Gargano) (01/20/88)

I posted a request for information to the net the week before
Christmas regarding information on Dialmail, Envoy 100,
OnNet/ScienceNet and ONTYME.  Thank you to everyone who sent
information.

Annette DeSchon and Jon Postel have put together an very nice
document, "Mail Forwarding Between Telemail and Arpa-Mail Using
Intermail".  The document is about six pages long so please contact me
or Annette DeSchon for a copy, DeSchon@B.ISI.EDU, 1-213-822-1511.

Here is a summary of the responses.

with anyone on more than 15 systems and networks, INCLUDING:
    ATT Mail, DASnet(R) Network, DCMETA, Dialcom(SM), EIES,
    EasyLink(R), Envoy 100(TM), FAX, GeoMail, MCI Mail(R), NWI(R),
    PeaceNet/EcoNet, Portal Communications(TM), The Source(R),
    Telemail(R), ATI's Telemail (Japan), Telex, TWICS (Japan),
    UNISON(R), UUCP, The WELL, Domains e.g. ".COM" and ".EDU".

                           DA Systems, Inc.
                         1503 E. Campbell Ave.
                          Campbell, CA  95008
                             408-559-7434
                         TELEX:  910 380-3530

From: mcvax!hafro.IS!eirikur@uunet.UU.NET (Eirikur T. Einarsson)

There is no gateway to DIALMAIL.  You have to have a password which you
can only use for that system.  I asked the DIALMAIL people a year ago
if they would make it possible to send mail into DIALMAIL, then they
said that they did not have any intentions to make that possible in the
near future.

From:   OMNET.SERVICE
To:     MRI.Iceland.Library
Subj:   Envoy 100

Interface Info
It is possible to communicate with a number of organizations outside Omnet
using GTE Telemail systems in other countries, as well as the U.S.
These include Envoy, Edunet, NASAMail, GSFCMail, and J.P.L.  Exchanging
messages between the MAIL (where Omnet is located) and TELEMAIL branches of
the network is actually quite easy.  You simply address a message as usual,
but the address must contain extra information in a special format for the
message to be properly routed.  Using the correct format is the key to a
successful 'interface'.  Here is the basic format:

   [username/organization] system branch/country

The system branches are:
  MAIL/USA              -       The system that SCIENCEnet is on
  TNET.TELEMAIL/USA     -       Many GTE personnel are on this system
  TELEMAIL/USA          -       Includes much of NASA
  GTEMAIL/USA           -       More GTE personnel
  TM11/USA              -       US Dept. of Agriculture system
  GSFC/USA              -       Goddard Space Flight Center, NASA
  TELECOM/CANADA        -       The Envoy 100 service
  ATI/JAPAN             -       The Japanese ACE system
  PIPMAIL/TAIWAN        -
  TBXSPA/SWEDEN         -
  ITALMAIL/ITALY        -

The only tricky part is finding out which organization the person you're
trying to reach is on.  Some possibilities are:
  NASA      (Telemail system)
  J.P.L.    (Telemail system)
  GSFCmail  (GSFC system)
  TELENET   (TNET.Telemail system)

Once you have discovered this, you can easily address the message.  For
someone on NASAnet for example, you address your message like this:

   [JDOE/NASA] TELEMAIL/USA

Sending to someone on the Canadian Envoy 100 system would mean using an
address with the following format:
   [ANortherner/organization] Telecom/Canada
Unfortunately, there's no way of doing intersystem directories, so you'll have
to get the correct information from the colleague that you're trying to reach.

Someone sending a message to you would type:

   [MRI.Iceland.Library/OMNET] MAIL/USA

The square brackets are very important to include, as well as the correct
spacing.

Please note that different organizations follow different formats.  Omnet
usernames (unless institutional acronyms) follow the format: first initial,
period, last name.  NASA organizations omit the period.

                          NETWORK CONNECTIONS

    +-----------------+     +------------------+
    |                 |     |                  |
    |                 |     |    NETNORTH      |
    |     UUCP        |     |                  |
    |                 |     +------------------+---------------------+
    |                 |     |    BITNET        |     EARN            |
    |                 |     |                  |                     |
    |                 |     |                  |                     |
    +-----------------+     +------------------+---------------------+
             |     |                   |                           |
...!uunet    |     | ...!seismo        |                           |
             |     |                   |                           |
            [G]   [G]                  | CUNYVM.BITNET             |
             |     | SEISMO.CSS.GOV    |                           |
             |     +-------------+    [G]                          | UKACRL
             |                   |     |                           |
             +----------------+  |     | CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU          [G]
             UUNET.UU.NET     |  |     |                           |
                              |  |     |                           | UK.AC.RL
                              |  |     |                           |
                           +---------------------+                 |
                           |                     |                 |
              RELAY.CS.NET |                     |                 |
              +------------|                     | NSS.CS.UCL.AC.UK|
              |            |                     |------------[G]  |
             [G]           |                     | UK.AC.UCL.CS.NSS|
              |            |       ARPA/NSF      |             |   |
 RELAY.CS.NET |            |       INTERNET      |             |   |
   +--------------+        |                     |    +--------------+
   |              |        |                     |    |              |
   |              |        |                     |    |              |
   |    CSNET     |        |                     |    |    JANET     |
   |              |        +---------------------+    |              |
   |              |                    |              |              |
   |              |                    |              |              |
   +--------------+                    |              +--------------+
                   Intermail@C.ISI.EDU |

                                   +---------+
             +---------------------|Intermail|---------------+
             |                     +---------+               |
  [Intermail/USCISI] Telemail/USA      |                     |
             |                         |                 64:CMP0817
             |                      107-8239             57:NSF153
             |                         |                 50:ONR143
          TELEMAIL                     |                     |
     +----------------+       +----------------+       +--------------+
     |                |       |     MCIMAIL    |       | DIALCOM      |
     |    MAIL        |       |                |       |              |
     |    OMNET       |       |                |       |              |
     |    GTE         |       |                |       |              |
     |    NASA        |       |                |       |              |
     |    TELENET     |       |                |       |              |
     |    GSFCMAIL    |       |                |       |              |
     +----------------+       +----------------+       +--------------+

From: E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu

	ONTYME is a commercial, central Email service offered by
TYMNET (a subsidiary of McDonnel-Douglas Corp.). Your nearest TYMNET
salesman should have the relevant literature.

Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
From uunet!mnetor!ontmoh!ontenv!norm

ENVOY 100 is a paid service, if a direct uucp <--> ENVOY gateway
exists it is very unlikely that the bill payer would publicize the
gateway as cost would be prohibative. However Bell Canada has just
enhances ENVOY 100 (it is now called ENVOY MHS) to comlpy with at
least some of the levels of X.400 and concurrently added a gateway
between ENVOY and ATTMAIL, this is currently in Beta test (so I'm lead
to believe by Bell). ATTMAIL is uucp-able but it too is a paid service
so I think that they require that you phone them directly, there was a
discussion about this recently on the net under the guise of a TELEX
to uucp gateway.

--
Joan Gargano * Univ. of Calif., Davis, Computing Services * (916) 752-2591
Internet   jcgargano@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu

earle@jplopto.uucp (Greg Earle) (01/20/88)

There exists a direct gateway between Telemail and UUCP/Internet mail,
but I am duty-bound not to disclose it, as the owners would not appreciate
the resultant mail traffic (they provide the gatewaying as a service to
the Governmental Agency that needs it, not as a general function.  Hint:
It's not any JPL site, so don't waste time trying).  There may or may not
be others ...

	Greg Earle		earle@jplopto.JPL.NASA.GOV
	Indep. Sun consultant	earle%jplopto@jpl-elroy.ARPA	[aka:]
	Rockwell Science Center	earle%jplopto@elroy.JPL.NASA.GOV
	Thousand Oaks, CA	...!cit-vax!elroy!smeagol!jplopto!earle

thomas@gmdzi.UUCP (Thomas Gordon) (02/08/88)

in article <862@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, ccjoan@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu (Joan Gargano) says:
> with anyone on more than 15 systems and networks, INCLUDING:
>     ATT Mail, DASnet(R) Network, DCMETA, Dialcom(SM), EIES,
>     EasyLink(R), Envoy 100(TM), FAX, GeoMail, MCI Mail(R), NWI(R),
>     PeaceNet/EcoNet, Portal Communications(TM), The Source(R),
>     Telemail(R), ATI's Telemail (Japan), Telex, TWICS (Japan),
>     UNISON(R), UUCP, The WELL, Domains e.g. ".COM" and ".EDU".

>                            DA Systems, Inc.
>                          1503 E. Campbell Ave.
>                           Campbell, CA  95008
>                              408-559-7434
>                          TELEX:  910 380-3530

I am interested in general information about MCI mail and ATT Mail.
I have Usenet access, as you can see, but family and friends in the
U.S. do not.   It would be nice to exchange e-mail with them from
Europe.  It would be possible for me to directly subscribe to ATT or MCI
mail but I would prefer some kind of gateway between Usenet and these
other nets, so that I do not have to check another e-mail "box" each
morning.    Does DA Systems offer this kind of service?   Can subscribers
to MCI or ATT mail send me mail without requiring that I have a
subscription to one of these services?   What does DA Systems charge
for their service, and who pays -- the person sending mail or the
person receiving, or both?

Are there other solutions available?   Is DA Systems the only company
offering this kind of service?   Can anyone tell me how to get in
contact with MCI or ATT to obtain more information about their e-mail
services?

Thanks for your help.

Tom Gordon

PHil@cup.portal.com (02/10/88)

Portal offers full usenet and uucp net email access for $10/month
flat rate all you can use.  For more info, have them call 408/973-9111
voice during the day or 408/725-0561 with their computer and modem.

Why pay more?  $10/month all you can use!  Plus Usenet access and
much more.  Access internationally to Portal is available through any
public data network using the NUI of 311040800264 which is the Portal
DTE address on Telenet.

Online info is available by calling the 408/725-0561 number or calling
any Telenet node and using "c portal" to connect.