[comp.mail.misc] E-Mail to Non-Net public systems...

davidbe@sco.COM (Nobody tells me anything...) (02/13/88)

Is there any way to send mail to computer systems such as Compuserve?

I see people occasionally posting their C-serve "address" and want
to know if there's any way to mail them there...or even if there's
any point in trying.  Any and all help appreciated, and the usual
thanks in advance (Half now, half on copletion of the job :-)

Tower?  I thought this was a department store!
--
DavidBedno(akaTheCatintheHat,Dr.Seuss,Number13of254)Nowappearingat:
davidbe@sco.COM-OR-...!{uunet,ihnp4,decvax!microsoft,ucbvax!ucscc}

rusty@hodge.UUCP (Rusty Hodge) (02/18/88)

In article <201@scovert>, davidbe@sco.COM (Nobody tells me anything...) writes:
> Is there any way to send mail to computer systems such as Compuserve?

Theoretically, you could use the ARPA to MCI-Mail link, and address your MCI
letter to "an EMS address" (I don't remember how, I just remember you can).
MCI has links to CompuServe and several other commercial videotex systems.

olson@endor.harvard.edu (Eric K. Olson) (02/19/88)

In a recent article Rusty Hodge writes:
>Theoretically, you could use the ARPA to MCI-Mail link, and address your MCI

I am unaware of such a link.  How do I address an MCI-Mail thing from ARPA?

-Eric

	    "We're writing tomorrow's software yesterday."
Eric K. Olson     olson@endor.harvard.edu     harvard!endor!olson     D0760
   (Name)                (ArpaNet)                 (UseNet)        (AppleLink)

snoopy@altger.UUCP (Mathias Niemz) (02/19/88)

In article <201@scovert> davidbe@sco.COM (Nobody tells me anything...) writes:
>Is there any way to send mail to computer systems such as Compuserve?
>I see people occasionally posting their C-serve "address" and want
>to know if there's any way to mail them there...

Sorry, systems like compuserve have to entry for non-users via uucp or so.
Others like GeoNet enable an entry via special user-id. The destiation
adresses have to pay for your login.

Example for Geonet:

Dial NUA: xxxxxxx
Username: zczc
To whom ? yyyyyyy
Password ? zzzzzzz (set sometimes by destination user)
your message
+ uucp: ...!pyramid!tub!netmbx!snoopy or ...!uunet!unido!altger!snoopy +
+ Snailmail: Mathias Niemz, Preussenallee 23, D-1000 Berlin 19         +