[comp.mail.misc] More BITNET stupidity

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (02/25/88)

I'm a seriously confused individual.  Quite out of the blue, I got the
following message:

|Date:         Tue, 23 Feb 1988 18:56 PST
|From: Revised List Processor (1.5m) <LISTSERV%OREGON1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
|Subject:      Output of job "EMACS" from RSCS@UWAVM
|To: KARL@TUT.CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
|
|Command replies from RSCS@UWAVM are being forwarded to you.
|This server has been placed offline. Processing of
|your DISTRIBUTE request has been postponed.

This is rather unusual.  I know what RSCS is on IBM beasties (much to
my chagrin), but I don't know the machine UWAVM, I haven't written any
mail on Emacs-related things to anyone on the Internet in several
weeks, and I don't know why it would be performing a DISTRIBUTE
request for me.  (But I can tell it's from the BITNET because IT
BELIEVES IN UPPER CASE...)

it was addressed very specifically to me, though not at the address
from which I normally write mail; I "live" on Triceratops, not Tut.
So I sent a request to the addresses that seemed logical, looking for
some info about why I got it:

|From karl Wed Feb 24 10:02:36 1988
|To: postmaster@oregon1.bitnet, listserv@oregon1.bitnet
|Subject: [LISTSERV%OREGON1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU: Output of job "EMACS" from RSCS@UWAVM]
|
|Why have I received this, and what is it supposed to be telling me?

|--Karl Kleinpaste
|Ohio State Computer Science
|
|[original message forwarded here]

I figured that a reply back to LISTSERV ought to do some good, and a
request to postmaster *ought* to get something identifiable.  Nope, I
lose again.  I just got this a couple of minutes ago:

|Date:         Wed, 24 Feb 1988 07:02 PST
|From: Revised List Processor (1.5m) <LISTSERV%OREGON1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
|Subject:      Output of your job "karl"
|To: karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu
|
|> Why have I received this, and what is it supposed to be telling me?
|Unknown command -- "WHY". Try HELP.
|
|All subsequent commands have been flushed.

OK, fine.  The appropriate response now seems to be to ignore the
issue entirely; asking questions is just generating more useless
traffic in my mailbox.  But I'd sure like to know what the original
note was trying to tell me and, at least as important, what job about
Emacs it is that's got my name on it at that machine.

Dazed and confused,
Karl

hirai@swatsun.uucp (Eiji "A.G." Hirai) (02/26/88)

In article <7136@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu< karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
< I'm a seriously confused individual.  Quite out of the blue, I got the
< following message:
<
< |From: Revised List Processor (1.5m) <LISTSERV%OREGON1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU<
< |Subject:      Output of job "EMACS" from RSCS@UWAVM
< |
< |Command replies from RSCS@UWAVM are being forwarded to you.
< |This server has been placed offline. Processing of
< |your DISTRIBUTE request has been postponed.

	We also got this for one of our users here at swatsun.uucp.
We're not even a Bitnet site - ours came through two uucp sites.
Boy, this brain-damaged software must really be desperate...

	Here's what we got:

< Date:         Tue, 23 Feb 1988 21:21 PST
< From: Revised List Processor (1.5m) <LISTSERV@OREGON1<
< Subject:      Output of job "INFO-C" from RSCS@UWAVM
<
< Command replies from RSCS@UWAVM are being forwarded to you.
< This server has been placed offline. Processing of
< your DISTRIBUTE request has been postponed.
<
< Date:         Tue, 23 Feb 1988 21:53 PST
< From: Revised List Processor (1.5m) <LISTSERV@OREGON1<
<
< Command replies from RSCS@UWAVM are being forwarded to you.
< RSCS@UWAVM has sent a DISTRIBUTE job to LISTSERV@OREGON1 with your userid as
< "from" origin. This job has been processed with the origin being forced back
< to   "RSCS@UWAVM".   Please   contact  the   LISTSERV   Coordination   Board
< <LCOORD-L@FRECP11< if you  think that "RSCS@UWAVM" should  have been treated
< as a "trusted" userid.
< Invalid mail origin specification.
<

< |From: Revised List Processor (1.5m) <LISTSERV%OREGON1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU<
< |Subject:      Output of your job "karl"
< |To: karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu
< |
< |< Why have I received this, and what is it supposed to be telling me?
< |Unknown command -- "WHY". Try HELP.
< |
< |All subsequent commands have been flushed.

	Wow, I love replies like this!!  If someone finds out what
this is, please let us know.  We're mighty interested in who's doing this
thing...

						-a.g. hirai
--
Eiji "A.G." Hirai @ Swarthmore College, Swarthmore PA 19081 | Tel. 215-543-9855
UUCP:   {rutgers, ihnp4, cbosgd}!bpa!swatsun!hirai |  "All Cretans are liars."

scott@zorch.UU.NET (Scott Hazen Mueller) (02/28/88)

In article <7136@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
< |From: Revised List Processor (1.5m) <LISTSERV%OREGON1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU<

In article <1619@tulum.UUCP> hirai@swatsun.uucp (Eiji "A.G." Hirai) writes:
< From: Revised List Processor (1.5m) <LISTSERV@OREGON1<

There was another one, Subject: line something like "Output of job "INFO-APP".
Now, to me these things look like Internet/Bitnet style redistributions of
Usenet newsgroups, possible with the names chopped of somewhere.  Did either
of you post stuff to comp.emacs (Karl) or comp.lang.c (Eiji) recently?

Just my nickel's worth...

      \scott
--
Scott Hazen Mueller   scott@zorch.UU.NET
(408) 245-9461        (pyramid|tolerant|uunet)!zorch!scott

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (02/28/88)

I get lots of those stupid !@#$ BITNET failure messages, lately it seems
I'm guaranteed to get at least one for each comp.sources.unix article I
put out.  I have found that the only thing that works is to send a sharp
message, full of lots of SHOUTING CAPITALS to {postmaster,listserv,rscs}@
{every-host-mentioned-in-a-header} with all the mail messages appended.

If anyone knows of a better place to complain about this kind of stuff,
I'd like to hear about it ASAP; isn't there a BITNET engineering task
meeting this week?  (I wish I could avoid the tendency to claim that's
on oxymoron. :-)
	/rich $alz, moderator of comp.sources.unix
--
For comp.sources.unix stuff, mail to sources@uunet.uu.net.

dboyes@uoregon.UUCP (David Boyes) (02/28/88)

In article <1619@tulum.UUCP> hirai@swatsun.uucp (Eiji "A.G." Hirai) writes:
>In article <7136@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu< karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
>[a lot of whining...]

I sent the following letter to Karl a few days ago. These messages are
legitimate and are caused by the software DOING THE RIGHT THING. The
software compares the real origin of the file with the address inside
the file -- if there is a difference AND the origin is not a trusted
source, then the software should notify you that someone is trying to
forge an article in your name. The message below explains the cause of
the messages.

Sorry for the slow response -- your mail only arrived this morning.

The reason  for the  error messages  you have  been receiving  is due  in some
degree to  the way mail and  newsgroups are gatewayed into  BITNET from Usenet
and the Internet.  Gateway points provide relay service, which  is then formed
into BITNET  mail messages  which are  introduced into  the store  and forward
network.  Each store  and forward  file has  an origin  ID attached  to it  --
essentially who transmitted it. When your messages for several newsgroups were
gatewayed into BITNET (about  a week and a half after you  wrote them -- thank
the comp.os.vms and  Info-VAX people for that) the link  between University of
Washington (UWAVM) and University of Oregon(OREGON1) was inoperative, causing
RSCS (the  network transmission  control program) to  hold files  destined for
OREGON1 until the link came back up.

The link was down for about a  day, causing a fair-sized buildup. The folks at
UW transferred  a lot ot  the files to another  userid, mainly to  allow other
traffic to live links to pass through.  The OREGON1 link came back up and they
began transferring  some of the  queued files  back to RSCS  for transmission.
Unfortunately, in  transferring them BACK to  RSCS, the origin ID  got munged,
thus causing all of  the mail daemons, mailing list servers,  etc. to send out
"possible bogus message"  warnings to me (the postmaster --  ever want to deal
with 2500 pieces  of mail in a  single day? The mind boggles....)  and to YOU,
the person that is ostensibly the one being impersonated.

That's the whole story. Sorry for any inconvenience.

The situation has been corrected.

*flame on*

To those of you who think our software is brain-damaged, AT LEAST IT
TRIES TO BE IMPOSTER-PROOF. RN certainly isn't.

*flame off*

--
David Boyes         | ARPA: 556%OREGON1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Systems Division    | BITNET: 556@OREGON1

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (02/29/88)

In comp.mail.misc (<1615@uoregon.UUCP>), dboyes@drizzle.UUCP (David Boyes) writes:
>I sent the following letter to Karl a few days ago. These messages are
>legitimate and are caused by the software DOING THE RIGHT THING.
No they're not.  See below.

>*flame on*
>To those of you who think our software is brain-damaged, AT LEAST IT
>TRIES TO BE IMPOSTER-PROOF. RN certainly isn't.
>*flame off*
Usenet is not electronic mail.  RN does not try to be imposter-proof because
the the underlying transport mechanism (UUCP or NNTP) are known to be
insecure.  We live with that.  What does that have to do with mail, and
why would a Usenet poster give a rat's ass?

David explained the UOREGON failure messages tons of folks recently got came
about because some local person moved queued mail files.  The system later
delivered the mail messages, but noticed they user-id's weren't kosher, so
it sent mail to everyone saying "hey, I sent a mail message out under
your name, but it might have been forged."  Note the words "a mail message";
a prolific mail writer doesn't stand a snowball's chance of figuring out
*which* mail message.

**If the BITNET mailer thought the message was spoofed it should have sat
**on it and told the postmaster!  It should not have sent it!

As I've said before, I get lots of messages from BITNET sites almost every
time I put out something in comp.sources.unix.  I'm tired of it, and I will
continue to complain and gripe in public forums to drum up sympathy and
support to get it stopped.
	/r$
--
For comp.sources.unix stuff, mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.

dboyes@uoregon.UUCP (David Boyes) (02/29/88)

In article <448@fig.bbn.com> rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
>I get lots of those stupid !@#$ BITNET failure messages, lately it seems
>I'm guaranteed to get at least one for each comp.sources.unix article I
>put out.  I have found that the only thing that works is to send a sharp
>message, full of lots of SHOUTING CAPITALS to {postmaster,listserv,rscs}@
>{every-host-mentioned-in-a-header} with all the mail messages appended.

Gee, I never thought I'd have to flame Rich Salz, failthful moderator
of far too many groups to count, but here goes:

How about sending a message to POSTMAST@UWAVM.BITNET before
complaining to the whole net, Rich? You'll notice that the messages
you're complaining about all come from RSCS@UWAVM -- why not start
with the source of the problem?

>If anyone knows of a better place to complain about this kind of stuff,
>I'd like to hear about it ASAP; isn't there a BITNET engineering task
>meeting this week?  (I wish I could avoid the tendency to claim that's
>on oxymoron. :-)

See above.

karl@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (02/29/88)

dboyes@uoregon.UUCP writes:
   I sent the following letter to Karl a few days ago.

Interestingly enough, I haven't received a copy of David's note via
mail; this is the first I've seen of it.  So I'm successfully getting
automated replies to mail (which I don't want), and I'm not getting
hand-mailed replies (which I need rather a bit more).

   These messages are
   legitimate and are caused by the software DOING THE RIGHT THING.

No, it's not.  I, as a random user at a random site writing mail to a
random mailing list, should never see any sort of internal weirdness
of anyone else's network.  If it's true that the automated message
originated from something I posted to comp.emacs (entirely possible,
as I show up there reasonably often), then that is explicitly a
broadcast medium and I don't want to hear what goes on in the
propagation of it across the countryside.  Not ever.

(And as an aside, my note was not "lots of whining," as claimed.  I
merely posted that I had gotten a strange note which I could not
correlate with anything I'd written, couldn't get any direct help when
I went through the standard procedure for asking for help, and hence
posted here looking for network wisdom.  I can't think of a better
approach to the problem.  I'm open to new suggestions, though.)

   *flame on*
   To those of you who think our software is brain-damaged, AT LEAST IT
   TRIES TO BE IMPOSTER-PROOF.

*flames doused*
You have no hope whatever of making the system imposter-proof so long
as you maintain connections with networks that openly and freely
acknowledge that they are not secure, including but not limited to
UUCP and the Internet.

Jeesh, I wasn't trying to spawn a "my network is better than your
network" flame-fest.  I just wanted to know where the weird mail came
from.

Karl

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (02/29/88)

karl@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (that's me) writes:
   Interestingly enough, I haven't received a copy of David's note via
   mail; this is the first I've seen of it.

Well, it figures.  Last night, I wrote the preceding sentence.  This
morning, about 15 minutes ago, David's note got here:

|Date:         Thu, 25 Feb 88 16:36:29 PST
|From: "David Boyes (Network Postmaster)"
| <556%OREGON1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
|Subject:      Odd mail -- please repost to news groups.
|To: Karl <karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu>
|Cc: "David Boyes (Network Postmaster)" <556@oregon1>

Observe that it sat at cunyvm.cuny.edu from last Thursday until this
morning.  Cunyvm has been up, as has Triceratops; my syslog shows that
a good volume of BITNET-related mail has been bouncing back and forth
between OSU and CUNY except for a couple of hours on Sunday, but
nonetheless it took 4 days to get his note from there to here.

Sigh...

henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) (03/01/88)

In article <1618@uoregon.UUCP>, dboyes@uoregon (David Boyes) writes:
>How about sending a message to POSTMAST@UWAVM.BITNET before
>complaining to the whole net, Rich? You'll notice that the messages
>you're complaining about all come from RSCS@UWAVM -- why not start
>with the source of the problem?

Because POSTMAST@anyhostname isn't an obvious place to complain to
(postmaster, on the other hand, is).  If you don't know about the
8-character limitation for usernames and mail addresses then you don't
know that sending mail to "postmaster" may not work.
--
# Henry Mensch / <henry@garp.mit.edu> / E40-379 MIT, Cambridge, MA
#      {ames,cca,rochester,harvard,mit-eddie}!garp!henry

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (03/01/88)

(Jumping into the fray with both feet, he held his breath and said:)

In article <1618@uoregon.UUCP> dboyes@drizzle.UUCP (David Boyes) writes:
<In article <448@fig.bbn.com> rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
<>I... send a... message... to {postmaster,listserv,rscs}@
<>{every-host-mentioned-in-a-header} ...
<...
<How about sending a message to POSTMAST@UWAVM.BITNET before
<complaining to the whole net, Rich?

It seems he tried to, and Karl said he did the same, which is what
touched off this whole discussion!

How about supporting a standard mailing address for mail problems,
David?  At least, can your machine use a ten-character long mail
delivery alias to turn "POSTMASTER" into "POSTMAST"?
-=-
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
 bob@cis.ohio-state.edu or ...!cbosgd!osu-cis!bob

dboyes@uoregon.UUCP (David Boyes) (03/01/88)

In article <7385@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:

>(And as an aside, my note was not "lots of whining," as claimed.  I
>merely posted that I had gotten a strange note which I could not
>correlate with anything I'd written, couldn't get any direct help when
>I went through the standard procedure for asking for help, and hence
>posted here looking for network wisdom.  I can't think of a better
>approach to the problem.  I'm open to new suggestions, though.)

Sorry about that, Karl. I was in a filthy mood -- realize that for
every one of those messages you got, I got THREE. One as postmaster,
one as mailing list server maintainer, and one as mail daemon
maintainer -- which adds up to 11,268 messages. All because someone
at another site took the easy way out and used TRANSFER instead of SPTAPE...

>You have no hope whatever of making the system imposter-proof so long
>as you maintain connections with networks that openly and freely
>acknowledge that they are not secure, including but not limited to
>UUCP and the Internet.

Good point. I was thinking primarily of mail originating within
BITNET, but your comment is correct.

--

dboyes@uoregon.UUCP (David Boyes) (03/02/88)

In article <7446@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>(Jumping into the fray with both feet, he held his breath and said:)
>
>How about supporting a standard mailing address for mail problems,
>David?  At least, can your machine use a ten-character long mail
>delivery alias to turn "POSTMASTER" into "POSTMAST"?

It does. So does UW. So do all sites (that I've found) on BITNET
supporting RFC 822 compatible mail. Sites supporting only IBM NOTE
format are a different story, though -- but those sites don't do
redistribution of mailing lists for exactly that reason.

> Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
> bob@cis.ohio-state.edu or ...!cbosgd!osu-cis!bob

Aargh. The last of the mangled files went through almost a week ago.
Things should be quiet now -- I think the UW folks understand what
happened now and (hopefully) won't do it again.

We're keeping our fingers crossed.