[comp.mail.misc] BITNET to UUCP Path?!

derykm@psc90.UUCP (DEZ) (04/06/88)

Would anyone know how to mail from a BITNET site to a UUCP site,
without using Gmail? A frien of mine is at a BITNET site which does
not have the program Gmail, and the only mailer he can use is his local
mailer. I tried experimenting at my end. BITNET and UUCP, but the regular
VAX/VMS mailer will not go to either PSUVAX!GATE or INTERBITGATE.
Any suggestions are welcome.

		Deryk

     +-------------------+         +
  +--+----------------+  |   +     |     +  UUCP:
  +-------------------+            +        BITNET :  D_MARIEN@UNHH

dboyes@uoregon.UUCP (David Boyes) (04/10/88)

In article <303@psc90.UUCP> derykm@.UUCP (DEZ) writes:
>Would anyone know how to mail from a BITNET site to a UUCP site,
>without using Gmail?
> A frien of mine is at a BITNET site which does
>not have the program Gmail, and the only mailer he can use is his local
>mailer.

Sure. This will be ugly, but it is known to work. Much of this stuff is
obscure, so watch carefully:

Sending Mail From BITNET to UUCP Without A Decent Mailer

1) Log on. (I know, obvious, but you'd be surprised how many people
goof this one... *sigh*. too much user consulting....)

2) Create a file with your favorite editor with EXACTLY the following
format. Lines on the left are actual lines which should go in the
file, stuff after the semicolons (;) are my commentary about what this
stuff does:

HELO yoursite.BITNET	; Replace yoursite with the BITNET node id
MAIL FROM: <youruserid@yoursite.BITNET>	; <> are required
RCPT TO: <UUCP_bang_path_from_a_like_uunet!UUCP_user@uunet.UU.NET>
RCPT TO: <foo!bar@uunet.UU.NET>	; Repeat RCPT TO: line for up to 10
				; addresses
DATA				; end of addresses -- begin text
<blank line>			; mandatory blank line here
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1988		; See RFC 822 for proper date format
From: <youruserid@yournode.BITNET> ; These are standard Internet mail
To: <UUCP_bang_path_from_like_uunet!UUCPuser@uunet.UU.NET> ;headers
Subject: 			; subject is optional
<blank line>			; Mandatory blank line
    .
    .
    <text of article or message goes in here>
    .
    .
    .
.<CR LF>			; period in col 1 followed by CR-LF
				; pair
QUIT				; last line in file

The mail headers inside the body of the message are required by some
sites, so you might as well put them in all the time. The UMass mailer
sites out there will puke and die without them.

Note that there are NO (none, nada, zero) blank lines before the DATA
keyword or after the .<CRLF>. The spaces after the colons in the MAIL
FROM: and RCPT TO: lines are also required. The trick about the
addresses in the corner brackets is that they must be at least
partially in Internet format, so you have to route your UUCP path from
some big site like uunet or ihnp4 that have either entries in the UUCP
map database or have real Internet connections (use ihnp4.ATT.COM for
ihnp4 -- and remember to grieve for Ma Bell [KEEP GOVERNMENT OUT OF
CORPORATE MANAGEMENT!]). The stuff on the left of the @-sign follows
good Internet convention and gets ignored until it arrives at the site
on the right of the @-sign.

Be careful in creating the text of the note as well -- lines cannot
exceed 80 characters -- the agreed on format for BITNET mail. If your
stuff is larger than that, there are programs like MFTU for VMS
systems or uuencode for everything else that will wrap long lines.
Blank lines are ok in the message body.

3) Save the file. (another obvious one, but ....)

4) If this is a VMS system running Joiner Assoc. Jnet, use the
SEND/FILE command to ship the file off to MAILER@PSUVAX1 (the official
BITNET-UUCP gateway). Use whatever switches necessary on the command
line to send the file as PUNCH format, class M.

If a IBM VM/CMS site, use the following series of commands:

CP SPOOL PUN TO RSCS 		; change RSCS to whatever your site
				; calls it
CP TAG DEV PUN PSUVAX1 MAILER	; point it at MAILER@PSUVAX1
CP SPOOL PUN CLASS M		; BITNET mail is always class M
PUNCH fn ft fm ( NOH		; no :READCARD headers needed

If at a MVS/TSO site, I have no idea how to do it. Any TSO wizards out there?

5) Tell your friend's system administrators to get a decent mail
system! Good public domain (ie, FREE or low cost [copying fee]) ones exist:

For VMS: PMDF for a delivery agent, MM-32 as a user agent. Both work
well and remedy a great deal of brain death in VMS mail.

For VM/CMS: Crosswell MAILER (available from LISTSERV@CUVMA) and Rice
MAIL (a GREAT program -- my personal favorite)

For MVS/TSO: UCLA MAIL (unknown -- contact UCLA on this one)

Lots of others exist, like the UMass mailer software, but I know
nothing about them, so I'll let others answer on those systems.

>I tried experimenting at my end. BITNET and UUCP, but the regular
>VAX/VMS mailer will not go to either PSUVAX!GATE or INTERBITGATE.
>Any suggestions are welcome.
>		Deryk

Get PMDF. Then you can tack in%" on to the front of your addresses and
never see another DECnet address in your life. Why DEC screwed up the
mail software on VMS has always escaped me -- they had it right on
TOPS-20. You might talk your systems people into considering MM-32 as
well. The improvement is *astounding*.

--
David Boyes         | ARPA: 556%OREGON1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Systems Division    | BITNET: 556@OREGON1